You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo doesn´t update the changes on Photos App

Hi,

I have just updated to the 1.7.1 Mac OS X version on my iMac  -- Mojave 10.14.5 (18F132).

Everything seemed to run very fluently and better the above version, but when I try to save the changes, Photos App doesn´t update the photos, so all the work done on Affinity Photo have no effect on the files...

I hope this information was enough to solve this issue very soon.

No, this is not about raw photos.

The process is this: in Photos, choose to edit a photo in AP (right-click in Photos) and select "Edit with…" and choose AP. The photo opens in AP and is editable. What should happen then is if I save the photo in AP (just using command-S), it should update automatically in Photos.

This works if you were to use Preview or Pixelmator to edit the photo. My understanding is that it worked with previous versions of AP. Command-S appears to save the photo in AP now, but it does not update in Photos.

On 6/28/2019 at 12:03 PM, Raul GM said:

Hi,

I have just updated to the 1.7.1 Mac OS X version on my iMac  -- Mojave 10.14.5 (18F132).

Everything seemed to run very fluently and better the above version, but when I try to save the changes, Photos App doesn´t update the photos, so all the work done on Affinity Photo have no effect on the files...

I hope this information was enough to solve this issue very soon.

Do you mean you are unable to save the photo at all?

What format was the photo that you opened to edit in Affinity Photo?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

To be clear, the problem is not that AP doesn't save photos, it is that it no longer works in unison with Apple's Photos app. Previously it was possible to right-click on a photo in the Photos app, select AP from the "Edit with…" menu option, and the photo would be opened in AP. When you then saved that photo in AP (pressing command-S was sufficient), the photo in the Photos app was updated with the changes.

This no longer works.

• Staff

Hi Raul GM, Enkidu Jones,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
We are already aware of this issue. I'm sorry the inconvenience this is causing you. 
Please use the Edit in Affinity Photo extension instead as suggested/explained in my post linked below since it does save the changes back to Apple Photos. Thank you for your support.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I have looked at the referenced forum posting that says to use the ellipses button in the Edit dialog to launch Affinity Photo.  I do so and I still get the error mentioned here.  What am I doing wrong?   I still get "Unable to Save Changes for “Edit in Affinity Photo”" error.   "An error occurred while saving. Please try again later."  I'm using the latest version I presume as it's from the App Store on Catalina.  Sometimes I get "Unable to edit with "Edit in Affinity Photo".  "An unexpected error occurred."  

I want to use this product but have never been able to get it to work.  Please help!  Thanks.  

Here is a video of me trying to use the software.  Am I doing something wrong?  Any workarounds?   https://youtu.be/iLciJRLQFmg 

Apologies in advance for the terrible audio.  

Hello wealthychef and welcome to the Affinity forums,
Unfortunately using macOS Catalina there is still as yet no round trip of an image between Apple Photos and Affinity Photos.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M