You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer Question: Is it possible to hide Nodes or draw without keeping paths selected?

Hello,

I'm a figure drawing artist and I have been using Adobe Illustrator to draw quick figure sketches for a number of years. Key to this process is the ability to direct the pencil tool to not select each new line I draw, so I can sketch simple lines quickly without the distraction of anchor points. I haven't been able to find the Affinity Designer equivalent that would allow me to draw with the pencil tool without seeing the Nodes. Is there a toggle that allows this? 

I've attached to this post a short clip illustrating what I'm talking about. On the right, I have an Illustrator window, with its pencil tool set to not select new lines. I can draw with no problems. On the left, Affinity Designer's pencil tool keeps lines selected, with nodes being a visual distraction as well as editing lines when I'm drawing too close to the last line I drew instead of making a new line. 

I want to be clear, drawing in the Pixel persona is not the solution I'm looking for. I'd like my lines to remain vector and editable after drawing, and to be able to do this from the Designer persona. Is this currently possible?

DrawingWithoutSelectingPaths.gif

• Staff

Hi blkmkt,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately this isn't currently possible in the Vector Persona of Affinity Designer, there's no option to hide all nodes or stop automatic selection of the last curve drawn, my apologies.

I'll move your thread to Feature Requests and Feedback for our devs to see and consider!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi blkmkt

I found a solution that worked for me. 

You can create a narrow solid brush and use it with the brush tool, this tool is not affected by automatic selection.

After that I started using the brush tool instead of the pencil tool to draw in vector.

Hope works for you too.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
16 minutes ago, KaitosArt said:

I'm looking for drawing in AD like I'm drawing by hand or other raster program (Procreate, PS, etc). 

See if @Elvio Moura's post from 2020 helps.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 year later...