You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New to DNG format - opening in Photo 1.7.1

Windows 10 + Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404

I don't normally work with DNG files, but I am trying to view some images in that format that I've downloaded from a film lab to demo their product quality.  What happens is that the AP tools normally visible on the left disappear, and in their place is an undocked window labelled "32-bit Preview" sporting Exposure and Gamma sliders along with a pair of Display Transform radio button options.  The AP tools on the right appear normal, i.e., the Histogram, Scope, EXIF, and Focus tabs are available.  Is this what I should expect to see?  If so, that's fine, I did want to just view the images, not edit them; however, when I attempt to close the image it complains with this:

image.png.a6e7e86fdc3a02ef45d061eb718e682a.png

At this point, I'm forced to use the Task Manager to end the AP process.  Thinking I somehow 'broke' AP, I have downloaded and 'repaired' the existing version, but to no effect.

I can of course convert the DNG before viewing the images, but I thought DNG was a supported file format.  Clearly, I'm missing some key piece(s).  Anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Terry

@tbransco DNG (like RAW) invokes the Develop persona. You're seeing the expected results; to get to the Photo persona, click "Develop" in the top left (this is what the quitting dialog is telling you -- Cancel or Develop before progressing -- even when progressing is quitting).

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

8 minutes ago, tbransco said:

If so, that's fine, I did want to just view the images, not edit them; however, when I attempt to close the image it complains with this:

At this point, I'm forced to use the Task Manager to end the AP process.  Thinking I somehow 'broke' AP, I have downloaded and 'repaired' the existing version, but to no effect.

You may need to show the Context Toolbar first.

1767695236_ScreenShot2019-06-28at11_16_34AM.thumb.png.2ec61bd1bc3b8c8aef373ecdaa524576.png

and then you should see this

2046492154_ScreenShot2019-06-28at11_16_16AM.png.c19897d76b3b546c8ee42c569119ad88.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@Old Bruce Whoa... that's an interesting UI choice to make the develop/cancel buttons optionally visible. :-| (The rest of the details I can understand...)

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers