You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I return to version 1.6 from version 1.7

I downloaded version 1.7 and found that it has many Photo Persona problems, the biggest being that the masks don't work. I need to work on some photos NOW and don't have the time to mess around with a post production program. Version 1.6 worked just fine for me and I want it back. How do  I re-install the previous version I had (ie. Version 1.6)?

• Staff

Hi Trying Hard,

Welcome to the forums :)

I'm very sorry to hear you're having trouble with masks, could you expand on this please? We're not aware of any overarching mask issues in version 1.7

In terms of rolling back your software, could you please confirm; are you using Windows or Mac? Where was the app purchased from? (ie Affinity Store, Microsoft Store, Mac App Store?)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

To whom it may concern,

If you get this test message, could you please inform " Trying Hard". My submit button does not seem to work.

Thank You

7 minutes ago, RSpencer said:

I would like to know how to return to prior version as well.  I purchased via the Affinity Store and am using Windows.

https://store.serif.com/update/windows/designer/1/

https://store.serif.com/update/windows/photo/1/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Trying Hard said:

To whom it may concern,

If you get this test message, could you please inform " Trying Hard". My submit button does not seem to work.

Thank You

Your message posted just fine, @Trying Hard.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The mask problem I mentioned above is as follows: When I select the background pixel layer, and then the black mask and Paintbrush tool, the photo will erase as you pass over it with the Paintbrush tool. A grayish  layer with large square pixels will appear in its place. This happens in version 6.1 and is as it should be.

In version 7.1, when I follow the same procedure as above, the photo does not completely erase, but, instead leaves a transparent ghost image behind , over the base pixel layer. Also, the white mask ( which should restore the photo when Paintbrushed over the photo), will sometimes instead, leave a white streak in the path of the Paintbrush tool. I am not sure if there are any other anomalies with Version 7.1.

• Staff

Apologies for the delayed response. 

On 7/8/2019 at 11:56 PM, Trying Hard said:

In version 7.1, when I follow the same procedure as above, the photo does not completely erase, but, instead leaves a transparent ghost image behind , over the base pixel layer.

Could you please provide a screen recording of this? I'm struggling to reproduce it here.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Dan C,

Don't quite know how I did it, but mask problem solved. I did reload ver. 7.1 from downloads after completely uninstalling ver. 6.1 , which was not the case originally. Also, when I first installed 7.1, Microsoft sent a notice that they were updating my computer. Those update sessions have often resulted in WiFi loss for a couple of days(ie. I have to go into Settings and reconnect to WiFi manually.) This may have affected the quality of the first 7.1 install. Thanks again for looking at this problem and I hope this info might be of use to someone else who runs into it.