You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Retina Display (iMac Pro) showing non-retina resolution

SPurz

Hello,

your Twitter told me to post this here.
So I work on an iMac Pro and when I open a document, it is often displayed very pixellated and I have to go to View > New View (often 2 or 3 times) until it becomes sharp.
I attached 2 screenshots of Artboard names, one before and one after.
I also realized that the first one is on zoom level 25% and the second one is 50%, but the displayed size is identical. So I think it is a problem with the retina resolution not displaying correctly at first.
Maybe important: I have a second screen that is not retina, where I put most of the Studio tools.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-06-28 um 16.23.00.png

Bildschirmfoto 2019-06-28 um 16.23.26.png

If I understand correctly the text "Whitepaper Sharing..." is the name of the artboard. This is a known problem and they are working on it. If other text (in the actual document) is displaying like your screenshots then that is a new/different problem.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I don't run dual screens anymore so can't help with that theory but there is something wrong. Does changing the zoom help at all.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi SPurz,
Sorry for the delay in responding! Is this still a problem for you in 1.7.2? If so could you temporarily disconnect the second monitor and see if that stops the issue from happening? Is your secondary monitor connected via Thunderbolt? What is the monitor and resolution - also if you can attach a screenshot from System Preferences > Display for each monitor that would be very useful! 

Thanks!

Yes, with 1.7.2 I still have the same problem.
Restarting AD with the second monitor disconnected worked. So, it seems to be connected to this problem.
The second monitor is connected via an USB-C/Thunderbolt dongle.
Attached are screenshots of the Monitor settings and of my configuration of the AD UI.
You can also see how this problem appears with a newly created document. It also creates some weird artefacts in the background of the artboard.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-21 um 18.27.20.png

Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-21 um 18.27.24.png

Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-21 um 18.34.12 (2).png

Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-21 um 18.34.12 Kopie.jpg

• Staff

Unfortunately I'm still unable to reproduce this. I've connected a Mac to a 1080p monitor using a Thunderbolt Cable as I don't have any USB-C/Thunderbolt dongles. How is that connected to the additional screen. From what I can tell you're using an ASUS VC279H which only has VGA, DVI and HDMI inputs - which one of these are you using? 

Also could you try going into Preferences > Performance and change Retina Rendering to Low Quality (Fastest) and see if that helps? Could you also attach a screenshot of that dialog as well please?

Actually, with the lower performance settings the Artboard title will be shown correctly (after a few times clicking on "New View"), but the content itself is displayed in half resolution anyway, as you can see in the attached screenshot on the edges of the "Mittwoch"

Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-23 um 14.00.33.png

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi @SPurz,

I've just managed to replicate it on a setup just like yours  iMac + non retina display). The way to get it into this state is by clicking on another window on your non-retina screen while the app is loading. If you do this, all the UI text will be blurry for that session. The only workaround, for now, is to close the app and restart it, making sure you do not click on the non-retina screen while the app is loading for the first time.