You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher - How can I select all text in a document?

How can I select all the text in a document? The background is that the spell check language is set to English and the actual language of the document is German. I wish to select all the text in the document and change it in one fell swoop from English to German.

I have tried selecting all the pages in the "Pages" window on the left of the UI, and I have tried selecting all the Text Layers in the Layers window on the right of the UI, but unfortunately neither of them worked. Interestingly, selecting the Text Layers did seem to select all the Text Boxes in the document, but when I changed the language in the Character Tab, it had no effect.

Thanks for any help!

Steve

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, Steve.

If you've used a paragraph style for your text, you could change the language there.

Or, if the Text Frames are linked, clicking in one of them and doing a Ctrl+A will select the text from all the linked frames, I think.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

if the Text Frames are linked, clicking in one of them and doing a Ctrl+A will select the text from all the linked frames, I think.

You think right with the caveat that on Mac it is Command + A

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks for the warm welcome and rapid response, Walt!

Unfortunately neither of those two prerequisites apply.

There is no paragraph style and the text frames are not linked.

I should perhaps explain that the document in question is a PDF which I imported for experimentation purposes. Nonetheless it seems a bit peculiar that there doesn't appear to be a straightforward way to select all text frames...

The frames in a PDF are not linked.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

Create a new paragraph style which includes German as the spelling language

Find and replace all occurrences of

Paragraph Style [No Style]

to

Paragraph Style [whatever you called your new paragraph style]

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thanks, Carl!

Your proposal is definitely on the right track. Unfortunately, though, I'm having some difficulty implementing it.

I have set the new paragraph style to German language spelling and have set the font characteristics as shown in the first attachment (no change to all parameters). However, when I run a find and replace, the text ends up being deleted and I am left with a lot of text frames with no text in them.

688779089_Screenshot2019-07-01at12_57_47.thumb.png.a67e683959321b8452248c03ec26f9b4.png

Interestingly, if I run the same find and replace with the text size set to, say, 12pt, (second attachment) then the language is indeed changed to German, but of course all the text is then converted to 12 pt throughout the document.

439600077_Screenshot2019-07-01at13_07_50.thumb.png.122f22986d8d446111a7df0d50208a67.png

I'm not sure what is going on there.

27 minutes ago, Steve-K said:

I'm not sure what is going on there. 

Me neither, my settings appear to be the same as yours and it works OK here

But I am on Windows and you are on a Mac so maybe that is a factor that may be involved

If you could redo the procedure from scratch to get the "no text" result and upload that document with the history saved, it might shed some light on what is happening

textstyle.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

So, I have just repeated the procedure once again from a clean start after shutting down the computer in the meantime. This time it has worked without deleting the text. Everything has worked as it should do - all text is now set to German as the language.

Thanks once again, Carl!

• 1 year later...

I'm new to Affinity Publisher and finding the transition from InDesign to be quite frustrating. For example, the simple process of highlighting all the text in a 6 page document so I can copy and paste into another application. It seems I can only copy text on a two-page spread even though all the text boxes are linked. What's going on here that I'm missing?

Insert your cursor into the first Text Frame then Select > Select All this should select all linked text boxes on all pages

32 minutes ago, Stoney said:

DO NOT BECOME HIGHLIGHTED!

Strange, on my PC (Windows) all text is highlighted.

It sometimes takes a second or two to highlight the text when scrolling through a long document but all of it is highlighted

Hasn't happened to me yet but I'm new to Affinity after many years with Adobe apps. Maybe it's a Mac thing but it's logical to expect an action as common as "select all" would look and work the same across platforms and apps. With Publisher, if I click on the text in a single page and 'select all' only that page in the document becomes highlighted. If it's a two-page spread only those two pages become highlighted. The remaining linked text on other pages in not highlighted.  Granted, all the text will be copied whether highlighted or not - as I discovered - but it's normal to assume text must be highlighted in order for an action to affect it.

Someone else with a MAC should come along later to confirm if they see the same as you or not.

If not, it may be something specific to your MAC or OS version

8 hours ago, Stoney said:

Hasn't happened to me yet but I'm new to Affinity after many years with Adobe apps. Maybe it's a Mac thing but it's logical to expect an action as common as "select all" would look and work the same across platforms and apps. With Publisher, if I click on the text in a single page and 'select all' only that page in the document becomes highlighted. If it's a two-page spread only those two pages become highlighted. The remaining linked text on other pages in not highlighted.  Granted, all the text will be copied whether highlighted or not - as I discovered - but it's normal to assume text must be highlighted in order for an action to affect it.

Here on Mac OS 10.14.6 I get all the text highlighted in all the linked Text frames for all the different pages. I agree with your assumption that the text should be highlighted for an action to affect it.