You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi guys, I have a photo of a churchyard, one of the gravestones which is integral to the image shows quite clearly details of the deceased, how can I make the lettering indistinguishable without looking too obvious? 

Thanks

Mike

I would guess that the answer would greatly depend on what the image looks like as things like lighting and textures would make a big difference to the technique(s) required.
If you can share the original, or just a cropped version, then I feel sure that someone will be able to give you some good advice.

Hi, MikeT40,

Some years back, I was doing grave research, and had the same issue. W. A-Photo, there are a number of easy ways. I used the selection brush and gave the selection a feather of 2. I then used the filter "Noise/dust and scratches, w. a low setting. That is visible in the left of the top line. To the right, I reselected the "dusted" area, and applied "Noise/Diffuse," value 1, followed by Gaussian blur, .5 On the bottom, I just ran the blur brush across the "dusted" area. When I was doing this, it was as research for monument styles across the years, so I wanted to retain a sense of the surface. Gaussian worked OK, not good, but better than "Average.'

image.png.8a30dba6f3c57ed9f9036048d6bf6ff8.png.f247d98b5914ed0794a3bdd58f199a32.png

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Just ignore this if it does not help.  I do not have photo, but in photoshop I would duplicate this layer.  Then I would go to Select, select colour Range, I would use the colour picker to click on the gold.  Then all the gold lettering would be selected, I would then apply a gaussain blur to the selection.  Now question here is do you have a 'select colour range' in Af Photo?  Can you use a colour picker to click on the gold selection?  Sorry if it does not help, the idea was rather to give you an idea as to how you might do this.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

Hello Mike,
Here’s another possibility if you don’t want to remove or obscure all the text, just selected parts.
You could use noise filters clipped inside some vector shapes.
The shapes can be positioned quite precisely and stop any unwanted spill of the noise into the surrounding text.
Vector shapes could also be used on their own without the Noise Filter to completely remove the text. In the attached they have a slight gradient with colour noise to match the surrounding stone.
File attached for you to have a play with.

1523540196_ObscuredText.png.c37f85bdb6abcc45080a563feb83b147.png

Obscured Text.afphoto

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M