You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resource Manager - Hang & complete computer freeze when updating an ADes file

nwhit

Had a linked ADesigner file in a pub. I had previously used the Designer Persona to make a few changes but today discovered that those changes were not made to the original Designer file (also read that in another post here). I thus opened the original Designer file, made the mods by opening the Publisher Edit window/tab for the graphic, then copy/pasting the artwork back into Designer. Then Saved as the original Designer file name. 

When I went back into publisher, the Resource Manager showed the linked file had been modifies, so I clicked the Update button. Got nothing but a spinning ball. Could not quit nor get out of Publisher, so ended up having to restart the iMac. After restart, I tried again but it once again stalled out. This time I was able to very quickly use the Dock to Force Quit Publisher before it froze the iMac. 

To resolve the issue, I had to delete the linked graphic from the pub, then Place the file again. Seems to be okay now, but should not do what it did. Also hoping you can get the auto-update to the original file fixed when using the Photo and Designer Personas. Until that's fixed, can't really use the Personas since it isn't updating the linked files.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

• 4 weeks later...

Have the same problem on a Publisher file, 90 pages on a Mac and Resource Manager. App freezes and have to force quit. Not using personas.Located Designer file and deleted graphic from file. Was able to continue for a few hours adding pages and Designer files, then close file, come back and back to same problem of freezing and having to force quit. Doesn’t matter if 1.7.1 it .422 beta.

Have saved numerous backup files and have the same problem. Have to go back a day or two to have one open. Can't complete book 94 pages and almost done, DOA for now. Opens fine on Windows but don't have same fonts on PC so file is a mess.

Is there a work around?

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

We believe the issue has been fixed in 1.8.0  [Publisher betas currently available, others to follow].

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 1 month later...

Grrr ... just discovered this problem after thinking that the AD file would be saved with the changes I made in Publisher :(

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

2nd Monitor: Phillips 226E9Q HD 1920 x 1080 (125%)

On 11/1/2019 at 3:28 PM, Patrick Connor said:

We believe the issue has been fixed in 1.8.0  [Publisher betas currently available, others to follow].

Hoping this is sorted. Can't work on a Beta for my project right now - too risky :)

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

2nd Monitor: Phillips 226E9Q HD 1920 x 1080 (125%)