You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Severe bug in "save" when PSD overwriting is enabled

Hi there,

We are (unfortunately) stuck with a PSD workflow here, and will never be able to change away from that.  Although Affinity Photo generally works well with PSDs, unfortunately there seem to be two very severe bugs with it where, for some reason, it only saves layers that are marked as visible.  This leads to a ton of lost work.  Here are explicit repro cases for both bugs, both of which are 100% reliable on our machines with the default settings for Affinity Photo:

Bug #1 - General PSD export bug where layer existence is saved, but layer contents are lost

1. Create a new file.
  2. Create two pixel layers, A and B.
  3. Draw an "A" shape on A, and a "B" shape on B.
  4. Set A to visible and B to invisible.
  5. Use File->Export to save to a PSD with the default settings.
  6. Close the file with File->Close
  7. Load the file with File->Open and note that although layer A and B both exist, layer B's image is gone (it is an empty layer).

Bug #2 - Save-over-imported bug where both existence and contents are lost

1. In General preferences, turn on "Enable save over imported PSD files".
  2. Create a new file.
  3. Create two pixel layers, A and B.
  4. Draw an "A" shape on A, and a "B" shape on B.
  5. Ensure both A and B are set to visible.
  6. Use File->Export to save to a PSD with the default settings.
  7. Close the file with File->Close
  8. Load the file with File->Open and note that A and B both exist and have their proper contents.
  9. Set layer B to invisible.
  10. Save the file with File->Save (automatically overwriting the old PSD)
  11. Close the file with File->Close
  12. Load the file with File->Open and note that while A still exists, B is now completely gone - it does not even exist, let alone have pixel data.

Based on this behavior, it would seem like there is perhaps some kind of hidden option (or one we missed?) that tells the PSD export process to skip things which do not contribute to the final image.  We would suggest that this should, at the very least, default to "off" if it is going to be an option :)

- Casey

Slight update: I cannot be 100% sure, since I have not done enough testing yet, but it _appears_ that if you change the PSD export setting from "accuracy" (the default) to "preserve editing", it seems like this behavior is at least mitigated.  Is it possible that some part of the "accuracy" setting accidentally removes layer contents that are marked as invisible?

- Casey

I can second this problem, layer can be easily lost due visibility.. with deep grouping this is madness

And this happens with all export settings, there is no workaround (aside tediously doing "show all" before each export)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wanted to add another symptom of this bug, just to make sure all the "hidden stuff doesn't work" problems are fixed when this gets addressed:

If you create a solid shape, such as a rectangle, this is exported/imported correctly to/from PSD when the "Preserve editing" setting is used.  However, if you _hide_ the solid shape, it may now get silently corrupted (seemingly randomly) in one of two ways.

Way 1: The shape becomes a "fill" layer and fills the entire document (rather than just the region inside the solid shape).

Way 2: The shape becomes a "fill" layer with a "shape" clipping layer underneath it, but the shape clipping layer (for some reason) has a slash through it and it appears to be non-functional.

Again, this suite of bugs is really, really bad and causes artists to lose work all the time.  I really hope it is going to be a high-priority fix because it's the most critical kind of bug an art package can have (silent data corruption) :(

- Casey 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi Casey Muratori,
The issue with hidden pixel layers losing their contents when exporting to PSD should be fixed in the upcoming Designer and Photo Customer Betas 1.8 for macOS (when available). The respective Betas for Windows launched around the same time will also include the fix. Thanks for your report.

Note: other issues mentioned on this thread are still being checked. I will update the thread again when i have more news.

• 1 month later...