You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP 1.7.1 slow performance when healing

I hadn’t ever noticed anything slow about Affinity Photo until after installing 1.7.1. When using healing brush I’m experiencing some serious delays between when I perform a brush stroke and when I see results. I’m actually experiencing this on both the Mac and IOS versions. Anyone experiencing the same? And if so, any suggestions to improve performance? 

My Mac: 2016, 15” Retina Macbook Pro,  2.9 GHz Core i7, 16GB, Raedon Pro 460 4 GB, 2tb SSD. OSX: 10.14.5

iPad: 2018 12.9” iPad Pro, 512 GB - OS up to date

Camera/files: Fuji GFX 50s, compressed raw

Noticing the performance lag when applying the healing brush to the base layer of the pair of layers created when invoking the frequency separation filter.

Sometimes the delay is as slow as a second; other time, several seconds. When trying to retouch a face, these kinds of delays can make post production of a single file a bit frustrating.

Any suggestions most welcome.

Tom

• Staff

Hi tpf1952, photoadele,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
We already have received a few reports of slowdowns/lags after the update to v. 1.7. Most of them are related with Metal compute acceleration. We are looking into this. You can try turn it off in Affinity Photo Preferences, Performance section (on bottom) to see if things get better/speedier for you.

22 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi tpf1952, photoadele,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
We already have received a few reports of slowdowns/lags after the update to v. 1.7. Most of them are related with Metal compute acceleration. We are looking into this. You can try turn it off in Affinity Photo Preferences, Performance section (on bottom) to see if things get better/speedier for you.

Thank you!

I don't have Metal selected, I have OpenGL. 

Mac Pro Mid 2012

3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3

ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB(Yeah it's old and needs to be replaced)

Managed to downgrade to 1.6.7 via Time Machine. Rebooted and resumed work. Stunning surprise: performance still compromised. Deleted 1.6.7, then reinstalled 1.7.1 Result: AP is running okay. 

Speculation: I could have saved myself some steps, simply deleted 1.7.1 in the first place, rebooted, reinstalled and gone to work.

Glad it worked, anyway.

Tom

• 3 months later...

I have also been noticing the Inpainting tool is laggy, and it seems like it used to always be fast.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3

Mac mini (2018

3.2 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB RAM

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

I have usually been editing TIFF files, fairly simple stuff, with one or two layers. Max of ~ 13 MB file size, Max of 4 images open at once.