You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Snapping with Artboards

When trying to align artboards with the help of snapping  I get very inconsistent behaviour (with snapping turned on, of course). For example: I have four square artboards with precisely the same dimensions and I want to arrange them in a square (like this : : ) with a distance of 10px between each artboard. I place the top left first, take the second - top right -  and get snapping guides to align it. Once I take the third artboard - bottom left -, I get no snapping guides at all. It doesn't align with either of the before placed artboards. Only if I deselect it, select another artboard first, then select the one I want to move again I get snapping. But even then it is not consistent. 

In addition, it would be wonderful if snapping between arboards would take all gaps and sizes into account. If I, for example, have three artboards arranged like this : . and I want the distance between the top and bottom to be the same as between the bottom left and right. Please let me know if I have missed something and this is already a feature. 

Thanks in advance! 

Make a new document of sufficient size with an artboard. Turn snapping on and make four objects of the dimensions and locations you want then turn them into artboards. Delete the objects and delete the first large artboard.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi mlsgvrc,

Have you tried changing your snapping option Candidates to All Layers? This will ensure not of the artboards are lost as snapping candidates and instead all objects can be snapped to. If you're still having troubles could you attach a video of the behaviour you are getting along with a copy of the document you're working with.

In addition to Old Bruce's suggestion you could also create a 10mm square and place that at the bottom corner of an artboard and then snap the other artboards to the corners.