You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Guides Changed After Update

After the recent update to Affinity Designer, my guides have all changed. They are now larger numbers, including negative numbers. I don't know a lot about Affinity and I'm honestly very confused how to get my guides back to the way they were. For example, if I had an artboard that was 8.5 inches high by 11 inches wide, I might set a 50% horizontal guide at 4.25 inches. Now that shows as -47inches or -558%. I don't know how to fix it! How do I go back to viewing my guides in a normal way? I have tried clearing all my user data, which didn't help. I opened a new document and it did not have these same issues, but if I tried copying my work into a new document, it brought the issue with it. Please help!

500846559_ScreenShot2019-06-20at9_24_29AM.thumb.png.a0cc9fbbbbe7757fa57019c753bcd997.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi LPC.Sara

Unfortunately this is a regression that is with development to be fixed. Previously guides were displayed (and should be!) relative to the artboard you are on, however that has broken and they now show coordinates based on the top left artboard of your document.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info @Sean P.

I haven't been using Designer much since this bug was introduced and I was going nuts trying to figure out a workaround other than shuffling artboards. Looks like shuffling is the only way right now so I will continue to avoid Designer. HOPEFULLY this is fixed soon because it completely destroys the way I work…

When/if you have any updates (or a workable workaround) it would be great to hear about it. Thanks!

-Scott

• 4 months later...

Hi @Sean P,

December 10, 2019... I'm still seeing this behavior. Guides on additional artboards are displaying as negative numbers.

But -- I realized that in the Guides Manager, the Spread Origin on the add'l artboards is being set wrong. When I change that to 0, the guides work at their correct measurements.

Is this still considered a bug, and being addressed?

Guides 2019-12-10 12-48-39.jpg

Guides 2019-12-10 12-49-32.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (guides/coordinate system broken) of the program in the latest release.

The fixes and how to update are described in these forum posts.

We would appreciate you checking that this issue has now been resolved for you.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon