You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need help with texture overlay in Affinity Photo

Hi,

I need a general pointer how to do this in Affinity Photo please.

I have a rendering like the one below (metal_sheet), one each for every available color. Up until recently, there were only plain colors.

Now there are two new "colors" which are wood textures. Sadly, the person who made the renderings is not available any more and I have to "simulate" it myself.

I tried different blendmodes with either the texture or the rendering on top, but nothing is working really well.
It needs to keep the same appearance (grooves and everything), but also the color should be as truthful as possible.

Any ideas how to achieve this?
Thanks!

wood_texture.jpg

metal_sheet.png

Hi,

Have you tried a Displacement Map? It's under the Filters menu>Distort>Displace.

You'll need to add the Displacement map to the masked wood texture and put that layer above the metal sheet, as you'll need to click on: Load Map From Layer Beneath from the Displacement settings (the metal sheet is the map creating the displacement in the texture), you can then add one of the blend modes for a better effect.

6 hours ago, summersara said:

Hi,

Have you tried a Displacement Map? It's under the Filters menu>Distort>Displace.

You'll need to add the Displacement map to the masked wood texture and put that layer above the metal sheet, as you'll need to click on: Load Map From Layer Beneath from the Displacement settings (the metal sheet is the map creating the displacement in the texture), you can then add one of the blend modes for a better effect.

Hmm, interesting. I had tried exactly this already. But it looked very different from your screenshot, only a minor change from the original image.
Maybe I missed something, will try again, thanks!

I just tried again, but somehow Displacement does not give me very good results.
Either the effect is almost unnoticeable, or I increase the slider and it sort of "breaks".

However, while experimenting I found a method that works for me:

1) Do the displacement anyway
2) Set blend mode of texture to Overlay. this gives a very light and bland image.
3) Adjust levels and saturation until the result is pleasing.

See example: 

wood_applied.jpg

That looks good :) I think it was the blend mode i used, Colour Burn that gave a better effect but yep, i think you have to do more tweaking with levels and saturation to get the displacement to look good.

This was the Photoshop tutorial i sort of followed from an old post on here: Turn to Stone and he did do a lot more work to get the effect right.

This video might also be helpful to fix the displacement issues Affinity has: Displacement Map Works in Affinity Photo