Jump to content
Peter Pan

Split Spread to place borderless or full-page photos.

Recommended Posts

First of all, many thanks to Serif for Affinity Publisher. You did a great job and I love the software.

However, I miss two features that are enormously important and prevent me from saying goodbye to InDesign:

On the one hand, I do not have the "Data Merge" function that many users often want. I do not need to go into that.

On the other hand (and this is really annoying), the function "Split Spread" is missing in the "Pages" panel. But this is very important if you want to place borderless or full-page photos.

An example: Almost every professional printing company requires a 3mm bleed around each side. If I place a photo on the full page, the bleed of the photo on the opposite side appears during export. (see photo)

In InDesign this is solved so that you can split individual double pages and then placed on the split page the photo with bleed. (see photo)
That makes no problems in the export.

A smaller feature that is missing is that you cannot export the bleed mark but only the cut mark when exporting. But I think I can live with that for now. (I hope my printers too)

bleed.jpg

seiten_id.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently, there is not much interest in this topic.
Is it because nobody works with full-page photos?
Or is there another way to place full-page photos that are exported without errors?
I'm grateful for every suggestion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You've made some suggestions. Unless someone has an idea for an alternative, a suggestion does not really require any respones from the users (such as me).

And Serif generally does not comment on feature requests/suggestions, in case you did not know that.

But if I were doing it, I would scale the photos so they are fully contained within the page, not bleeding outside of it.

But I'm curious about something: with spreads (2-page) I would only expect bleed around the outer edges, not across the gutter, as I would expect those 2 pages to be printed on a single sheet, which should not need bleeds at the gutter.

Is my understanding incorrect? (I don't have any experience, really, using bleeds, and most of my experience is with single pages, not facing pages.)


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.499 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tend to agree with Walt. My professional printer (the biggest printer in my country) asks for individual pages in the PDF print file, not spreads. Thus it does not seem to be an issue. In-house may be different - I have not had the time to test that. Too busy layouting in Publisher! :D

 


Lenovo laptop with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. Former user of most Serif software from PagePlus 3.0 through PagePlus X9, now enjoying Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put the image inside a frame, or convert it into one if you placed it directly. Then scale the frame from the gutter to the outer bleed. I think this should solve your problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, toutou123 said:

Put the image inside a frame, or convert it into one if you placed it directly. Then scale the frame from the gutter to the outer bleed. I think this should solve your problem.

I placed an image inside a frame. It did not appear in the trim area of the exported page, but it leaks inside the bleed.

image.png.da9f287d7b70095f7f624d71ef402eaa.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is actually quite problematic. I exported the pages without crop marks, and here is the result: the pdf file has a bleed on the 4 edges, it's white on the inside of the verso page, and it has the image on the inner side of the recto page.

image.png.51fd433052b8aaf494fb8c7c73b44949.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

But I'm curious about something: with spreads (2-page) I would only expect bleed around the outer edges, not across the gutter, as I would expect those 2 pages to be printed on a single sheet, which should not need bleeds at the gutter.

Is my understanding incorrect? (I don't have any experience, really, using bleeds, and most of my experience is with single pages, not facing pages.)

This issue is partly addressed in the video 'PDF publishing for pro print': https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/publisher/desktop/video/337466797. Publications are presented to the printer as a set of individual pages, not spreads. During export  to a PDF file creating bleed for central gutter areas on both pages (of 2-page spreads) is automatically taken care of. However, this requires overlapping graphics and not images or vector objects that are placed exactly at the center gutter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is true that when you set bleed to be in all sides there is unnecessary (at leat I think it is unnecessary) slice of image in the next page bleed. Normally this just does not happen and matter as you can set bleed to zero in the inner edge. With spiral bind this is a worse problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You've made some suggestions. Unless someone has an idea for an alternative, a suggestion does not really require any respones from the users (such as me).

And Serif generally does not comment on feature requests/suggestions, in case you did not know that.

But if I were doing it, I would scale the photos so they are fully contained within the page, not bleeding outside of it.

But I'm curious about something: with spreads (2-page) I would only expect bleed around the outer edges, not across the gutter, as I would expect those 2 pages to be printed on a single sheet, which should not need bleeds at the gutter.

Is my understanding incorrect? (I don't have any experience, really, using bleeds, and most of my experience is with single pages, not facing pages.)

My printer expects single pages with all around bleed. But I would like to put the layout on double pages, because sometimes objects go over two pages (which works fine when exporting to single pages, by the way).
Even if I scale a photo accurately, a part of it appears in the bleed of the opposite page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have this problem right now but I'm pretty sure I will when I do this kind of work.

So how can I export a document set to "facing pages" as separate pages into a PDF? I've just tried and the export contains spreads, not pages. I couldn't find any related option in the document settings or the export dialog. Can Publisher do this at all?

Also, is my understanding correct that I would set up a document with facing pages to have bleed only on the outer edges but not the inner edge? At least this feels right when editing and there's really no place for inner bleed when printing a magazine. The inside edge will continue on any other page of the magazine and anything that's meant to be cut away will appear somewhere. Only the center pages will be printed on the same sheet of paper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only situation splitting a spread is needed is when comb/spiral/hole punched binding is used. Then it can be a necessity if the paper is pre-drilled. If the aforementioned holes are drilled after trimming, then it is a non-issue with imposition software. For all other binding types, the imposition software eliminates the opposite side bleed.

24 minutes ago, ygoe said:

...So how can I export a document set to "facing pages" as separate pages into a PDF? I've just tried and the export contains spreads, not pages. I couldn't find any related option in the document settings or the export dialog. Can Publisher do this at all?...

Export as All Pages instead of spreads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ygoe said:

So how can I export a document set to "facing pages" as separate pages into a PDF? I've just tried and the export contains spreads, not pages. I couldn't find any related option in the document settings or the export dialog. Can Publisher do this at all?

Use the All Pages option:

export-pages.png.df002ea803d25c109d4bf877fc11b58d.png


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.499 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well call me stupid,oh please don't,I know allready I am.

But why do we need or use spreads if it isn't used in the printing business?

Couldn't we just use pages.

Is it because the other programs use it and this makes it more familiar for potential customers coming from these programs?


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win10(1909)Home / Photo / Designer / Publisher & latest (beta) versions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, haakoo said:

But why do we need or use spreads if it isn't used in the printing business?

Couldn't we just use pages.

Is it because the other programs use it and this makes it more familiar for potential customers coming from these programs?

It is the way pages in a book or magazine or newspaper look. Nothing more, nothing less than that.


MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.3 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.8.0.499

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the hint on the export. This whole concept is new to me and I've only learned the word "spread" today, didn't know its translation yet.

So now this is basically one more of these options I have to change for an export each time. I hope I won't forget. I always forget some export setting the first time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, haakoo said:

But why do we need or use spreads if it isn't used in the printing business?

Publisher isn't just used in the printing business. It can be used by users printing to their printers directly, and if they're printing a booklet then they need to print multiple pages on each sheet of paper. For that purpose, spreads are appropriate.

 

6 hours ago, ygoe said:

So now this is basically one more of these options I have to change for an export each time.

Or, you could create your projects without using Facing Pages, and then you won't have to worry about remembering that Export option :)

 


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.499 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ygoe said:

one more of these options I have to change for an export each time.

That is a same, and should be corrected by devs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, haakoo said:

Well call me stupid,oh please don't,I know allready I am.

But why do we need or use spreads if it isn't used in the printing business?

Couldn't we just use pages.

Is it because the other programs use it and this makes it more familiar for potential customers coming from these programs?

Spreads are necessary because you can realize layouts on two sides. (see picture)
On single pages, such a thing would be difficult to realize.

testspread.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.