You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

new items placed onto master page: unwanted!

I've populated a 60-page document in Publisher with images on regular (non-master) pages. When I want to add new images to new pages, Publisher wants them to be on Master pages.

How can I instruct Publisher to accept the images onto non-master pages. IOW, "put this image on a local/non-master page?"

Thank you!

I don't understand what you mean by 

2 hours ago, VectorCat said:

Publisher wants them to be on Master pages.

When I make new pages there is a Master Page layer in the layers studio and nothing else because it is a new blank page. But I cannot put anything in that layer without first selecting it and right clicking and choosing either Edit Detached or Edit Linked from the menu and also choosing a place in that Master Page to place the image. If I just want to put something on the page it goes on that page only.

How are you putting images into the new page?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thank you, Bruce;

When I set the document up, I created pages from "Insert Pages," and populated with images. After that, I inserted pages in between existing pages, and when I populated those pages with images, they were put by Publisher onto the Master Page layer.

I tried a few more times, but Publisher seems dead set about putting the new images onto a Master layer.

If I'd wanted to put something onto the master page (I have only 1) I'd have opened the Master page and modified it. That Publisher seems to "want" to put new elements onto a Master layer suggests...that there's a setting for me to deal with? or that something got switched..if so where's the switch/what's it called...

I'd think that default behavior when dragging images onto non-master pages in the document should be to add those images to the pages and not onto a master layer..because you're building a document. It's easy enough to open and edit the master page, and you're not going to be visiting the masters as often as you will the child pages.

Can you do a screen recording (full screen with Pages & Layers Panel showing) of what is happening?

It seems to work OK on my PC

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

For what it is worth, I have had a thing where if I add an image to a textbox, on a normal page, in the layers palette it is in the master page layer. I have no idea whether this is normal or not, but thought I would mention it here.

Image and master page.jpg

Are you putting the images into Picture Frames which are on the Master Page?  That would explain the behaviour, (Page 17 has Master A applied, Master A has a Picture Frame and the new image is in that Picture Frame in the Master Page on Page 17 and no other page has that image) and it is normal and expected. Or are the new images somehow appearing on ALL the pages with that Master applied to them?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

that seems to have been the culprit, but still weird behavior. 

Master Pages are items that appear on all child pages and ought not be "active" by default.  Publisher uses the opposite paradigm..good to know.

Thank  you!