You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature request: Auto-align layers

Hello,

I often need to scan artwork that is larger than my scanner. I can use the "auto-align layers" feature in Photoshop to match up two or more slightly-overlapping scans for a whole piece. Doing this manually, as I used to do, was time-consuming; it also resulted in less-than-optimal results.

Is there any move to add this to Affinity Photo? It is actually the only thing missing for me. Or, conversely, if it is already there and I missed it, I would love to be corrected.

Thank you for your brilliant work so far.

If you include enough of an overlap you can use the Panorama feature in File > New Panorama... just make sure to save the scans as something like a TIFF file.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I am forced to chime in here, because after having just purchased AP via the Mac App Store, I was hoping at least the New Stack functionality of AP would mimic the abilities of Auto Align Layers from Photoshop. Sadly, it is totally different and falls far short...

I am starting in professional exterior and interior real estate photography, and as such, I need to be able to bring in multiple brackets of the same image taken on a tripod, and apply various hand-drawn masked blends in between the images to create custom composites. However, the images must first be aligned, as I do not use a Cam Ranger (and no I have no interest in purchasing one), and there is slight movement of the camera in between the bracket shots.

When the individual files are opened and aligned in AP, they go into a Live Stack Group, that is governed by Stack Operators. These operators render the masked blends to come out completely useless, regardless of the operator that is selected.

When the aligned layers are removed from the Live Stack Group, they lose their alignment, again making the image useless.

I have spent time going thru the AP help system, and searching online to see if there are any tutorials to overcome this limitation, but as of yet I have not found anything.

This is incredibly frustrating, as I was hoping Affinity Photo, combined with Capture One Pro, would finally provide me the ability to leave behind Adobe, but because of this, Affinity Photo won't be getting much use from me until a proper Auto Align Layers function is added that does not depend on any sort of algorithmic operators that interfere with blended masking operations. This is, IMHO, one of those MUST HAVE features if Affinity Photo is to become a true PS replacement.

Hopefully this is prioritized for a release in the near future, like for v1.8 or so...

• 8 months later...

I was about to post this exact question and then stumbled across this post. Looking for this EXACT functionality as well!! However my request additionally is to allow an AUTO ALIGN option AFTER layers are already opened in Affinity Photo and NOT only allowing this through the NEW STACK import function.

• 2 weeks later...

I also use Capture One Pro.  Having the ability to export as layers in Affinity Photo - then auto-align is super important for real-estate.  (Probably for other items as well.)

I like Affinity - but am struggling not to have this!

• 8 months later...
On 3/18/2020 at 11:49 PM, AJCIII said:

I was about to post this exact question and then stumbled across this post. Looking for this EXACT functionality as well!! However my request additionally is to allow an AUTO ALIGN option AFTER layers are already opened in Affinity Photo and NOT only allowing this through the NEW STACK import function.

This would be so good. I had an image which contained multiple of exposures from the inside of an ice cave. I staked and blended them with blend ranges, after I took a short break I realized some blown out highlights. Since there was no easy alignment I had to start all over again. It'll also help to remove unwanted object like flare and so on...  

• 11 months later...