You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Option in settings for pasting without format from external apps

InDesign has a feature in setting that I love and use so much. Is the options to paste text from external apps without format. I know that you can do a paste without format, but with this option active, all text coming from external apps pastes as basic pure and pristine text by default, with the old, trusty command+v.

Not every one need this, some wants to have all the bold, cursives, tabs… but on some works, you need to get ride off all of incorrect formating, and, in my case, almost all of my work consist on eliminating customers format (people love to use bold and cursives and colors freestyle with no criteria). To get your text pasted directly without formar and without having to do finger yoga to use command+alt+caps+v is a desirable option.

This option, on InDesign, is in the settings pane, under the pasteboard managing section (When pasting text and tables from other apps). As is an option, is there for the ones who needs it only.

44 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

There is already a command in the Edit menu for "Paste without format." Is that not what you need?

Yes. As I said on the post, there is that option, but is slow, with a complex keyboard shortcut that doesn't come naturally to the hand as simple old command+v. What I talk is an option to set command+v to paste without format as a default. The actual paste without format is a cool feature to be used sporadically.

Don't like to compare, as I love affinity apps much more than Adobe's, but for my workflow, Indesign solution is elegant, easy and best of all, optional. It pastes directly any text from external apps as simple text, and is an option that you activate if you need it. When you have complex tables, texts and multiple sources on the same document, all loaded with nonsense format that the customer though it was cool (surprise, is not) the option to paste all as pure text is very important. In some works I could be copypasting more than 30 times per minute, and the difference from command+v and command+alt+caps+v is around 200% more time for the second, less hand effort and less thinking about it. Also, on my team not everyone cand do that complex shortcut with a single hand and going to menu is slower.

13 minutes ago, Daniel Gibert said:

not everyone cand do that complex shortcut with a single hand and going to menu is slower.

Change the shortcut to something you can use easily.

Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts > Edit > Paste without format...

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

9 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

Actually, Old Bruce gave a very good suggestion. You can swap the key commands for paste and paste without format. I just tried it, and it seems to work perfectly (I tried on Mac). I am actually surprised we can change a command as universal as paste.

Interesting, but it will affect to text copied and pasted from Publisher itself as people here are so used to command+v for pasting. Changing conventions is hard. By now i'll assign command+E for paste without format. At least it will be a two keys shortcut. It will work, although I'd love to have that setting to define the paste text behaviour.