Jump to content
ladyboomboom

[Affinity Designer] Hyphenation Polish - not working

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I'm wondering if there's a chance to automatically break words in Affinity Designer? I think I did it some time ago by accident, and can't return to that... The hyphenation function is not working as my language [Polish] is Unknown :( Is there any way to do it in Designer? Any help would be highly appreciated! Thank U!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi ladyboomboom :)

There's no Polish Hyphenation dictionary as standard in Designer, however you can now add your own custom dictionaries, using the same method as Affinity Publisher.

Are you using Windows or Mac please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that, please find the instructions below :)

Standard Hunspell dictionaries can be installed for the system spelling to use. These consist of two files, one names xx_XX.dic and one named xx_XX.aff. 

To install a dictionary or hyphenation dictionary on Windows from the Affinity Store or Microsoft Store:
  1. Visit the OpenOffice™ or LibreOffice website and download the appropriate language dictionary or try an internet search for "<LanguageName> hunspell dictionary".
  2. Open Affinity Publisher, then navigate to Edit>Preferences>Tools
  3. At the bottom of this dialogue you will find an 'Additional Dictionary Folder' path, please select Open
  4. Create a language code folder (e.g., ru_RU) in the folder that opens in Explorer and copy the downloaded dictionary files into this folder. Please note you require a .dic and an .aff file for the dictionary to be accepted. You also require a secondary .aff hyphenation file if you wish to add specific hyphenation dictionaries.
  5. Restart app.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dan C said:

Visit the OpenOffice™ or LibreOffice website and download the appropriate language dictionary

It's difficult (in my opinion) to find dictionaries on either the OpenOffice or LibreOffice websites. And if you do find them they are packaged as Extensions, which you then need to figure out how to unpack for use in Publisher.

There's a Github site for LibreOffice dictionaries that you can download from, to get the .aff and .dic files directly: https://github.com/LibreOffice/dictionaries


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.3.641 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.3.641 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.3.627 Beta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Affinity should supply links to needed dictionaries. Finnish dictionaries for example are not easy to find. Also, finnish OSX apps tend to use Voikko which is better than Hunspell (but probably it does not work with Publisher). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys

Thanks for your help!

I've created a subfolder "pl_PL" and put there these two files with .aff and .dic extensions downloaded from github

Then restart.

Unfortunately didn't work for me :( There is no Polish language on the list. 

 

Quote

You also require a secondary .aff hyphenation file if you wish to add specific hyphenation dictionaries

I didn't quite understood it and skipped it - is it the reason why it's not working?

 

Attaching my changed path

 

aff.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ladyboomboom said:

Attaching my changed path

 

aff.png

You shouldn't have changed that path name. It must end at Dictionaries.

Affinity will look below that path to find the dictionaries. Thus, with your change, publisher is looking into C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries\pl_PL and there it expects to find another folder named pl_PL.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.3.641 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.3.641 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.3.627 Beta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! I have Polish in "Spelling" now, but still no changes in "Hyphenation language" list. What am I still missing? 

Also now I have everything red-lined... 

And breaking words still not working :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ladyboomboom said:

Thanks! I have Polish in "Spelling" now, but still no changes in "Hyphenation language" list. What am I still missing? 

Also now I have everything red-lined... 

And breaking words still not working :( 

For hyphenation you need a 3rd file, the hyphenation .dic file. It would go in the same folder as the other two.

image.png.dc7bca4a2d447d0130f20fad56947a30.png

Red-lined: Make sure that you have the spelling language properly set for your text. Can you provide a screenshot, please? Put the text cursor on one of the red-lined words, then get a screenshot of the Language section of the Character studio panel.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.3.641 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.3.641 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.3.627 Beta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello again Walt!

Ok, I copied the missing file.

Still no breaking words, looks like it displays properly but not working :( 

I should've done it in Publisher, but I started this project before the launch, and I thought I could somehow use the breaking words function in Designer. 

Providing the screenshot 

Thank U

pl.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2019 at 12:50 PM, Dan C said:

Thanks for that, please find the instructions below :)

Standard Hunspell dictionaries can be installed for the system spelling to use. These consist of two files, one names xx_XX.dic and one named xx_XX.aff. 

To install a dictionary or hyphenation dictionary on Windows from the Affinity Store or Microsoft Store:
  1. Visit the OpenOffice™ or LibreOffice website and download the appropriate language dictionary or try an internet search for "<LanguageName> hunspell dictionary".
  2. Open Affinity Publisher, then navigate to Edit>Preferences>Tools
  3. At the bottom of this dialogue you will find an 'Additional Dictionary Folder' path, please select Open
  4. Create a language code folder (e.g., ru_RU) in the folder that opens in Explorer and copy the downloaded dictionary files into this folder. Please note you require a .dic and an .aff file for the dictionary to be accepted. You also require a secondary .aff hyphenation file if you wish to add specific hyphenation dictionaries.
  5. Restart app.

Hi. I'm on a mac and I can't see Edit>Preferences>Tools this option. I can't see it in Affinity Publisher>Preferences>Tools either. How I can add polish hyphenation to Publisher?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ticalion said:

I'm on a mac and I can't see Edit>Preferences>Tools this option. I can't see it in Affinity Publisher>Preferences>Tools either. How I can add polish hyphenation to Publisher?

 


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.3.641 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.3.641 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.3.627 Beta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're welcome.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.3.641 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.3.641 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.3.627 Beta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.