You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Affinity Designer] Hyphenation Polish - not working

Hello,

I'm wondering if there's a chance to automatically break words in Affinity Designer? I think I did it some time ago by accident, and can't return to that... The hyphenation function is not working as my language [Polish] is Unknown :( Is there any way to do it in Designer? Any help would be highly appreciated! Thank U!  

• Staff

Hi ladyboomboom :)

There's no Polish Hyphenation dictionary as standard in Designer, however you can now add your own custom dictionaries, using the same method as Affinity Publisher.

Are you using Windows or Mac please?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• Staff

Thanks for that, please find the instructions below :)

Standard Hunspell dictionaries can be installed for the system spelling to use. These consist of two files, one names xx_XX.dic and one named xx_XX.aff. 

To install a dictionary or hyphenation dictionary on Windows from the Affinity Store or Microsoft Store:
  1. Visit the OpenOffice™ or LibreOffice website and download the appropriate language dictionary or try an internet search for "<LanguageName> hunspell dictionary".
  2. Open Affinity Publisher, then navigate to Edit>Preferences>Tools
  3. At the bottom of this dialogue you will find an 'Additional Dictionary Folder' path, please select Open
  4. Create a language code folder (e.g., ru_RU) in the folder that opens in Explorer and copy the downloaded dictionary files into this folder. Please note you require a .dic and an .aff file for the dictionary to be accepted. You also require a secondary .aff hyphenation file if you wish to add specific hyphenation dictionaries.
  5. Restart app.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

Visit the OpenOffice™ or LibreOffice website and download the appropriate language dictionary

It's difficult (in my opinion) to find dictionaries on either the OpenOffice or LibreOffice websites. And if you do find them they are packaged as Extensions, which you then need to figure out how to unpack for use in Publisher.

There's a Github site for LibreOffice dictionaries that you can download from, to get the .aff and .dic files directly: https://github.com/LibreOffice/dictionaries

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Affinity should supply links to needed dictionaries. Finnish dictionaries for example are not easy to find. Also, finnish OSX apps tend to use Voikko which is better than Hunspell (but probably it does not work with Publisher). 

Hi guys

Thanks for your help!

I've created a subfolder "pl_PL" and put there these two files with .aff and .dic extensions downloaded from github

Then restart.

Unfortunately didn't work for me :( There is no Polish language on the list. 

You also require a secondary .aff hyphenation file if you wish to add specific hyphenation dictionaries

I didn't quite understood it and skipped it - is it the reason why it's not working?

Attaching my changed path

aff.png

1 hour ago, ladyboomboom said:

Attaching my changed path

aff.png

You shouldn't have changed that path name. It must end at Dictionaries.

Affinity will look below that path to find the dictionaries. Thus, with your change, publisher is looking into C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries\pl_PL and there it expects to find another folder named pl_PL.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, ladyboomboom said:

Thanks! I have Polish in "Spelling" now, but still no changes in "Hyphenation language" list. What am I still missing? 

Also now I have everything red-lined... 

And breaking words still not working :( 

For hyphenation you need a 3rd file, the hyphenation .dic file. It would go in the same folder as the other two.

image.png.dc7bca4a2d447d0130f20fad56947a30.png

Red-lined: Make sure that you have the spelling language properly set for your text. Can you provide a screenshot, please? Put the text cursor on one of the red-lined words, then get a screenshot of the Language section of the Character studio panel.

-- Walt
PC:

Hello again Walt!

Ok, I copied the missing file.

Still no breaking words, looks like it displays properly but not working :( 

I should've done it in Publisher, but I started this project before the launch, and I thought I could somehow use the breaking words function in Designer. 

Providing the screenshot 

Thank U

pl.png

• 4 months later...
On 7/4/2019 at 12:50 PM, Dan C said:

Thanks for that, please find the instructions below :)

Standard Hunspell dictionaries can be installed for the system spelling to use. These consist of two files, one names xx_XX.dic and one named xx_XX.aff. 

To install a dictionary or hyphenation dictionary on Windows from the Affinity Store or Microsoft Store:
  1. Visit the OpenOffice™ or LibreOffice website and download the appropriate language dictionary or try an internet search for "<LanguageName> hunspell dictionary".
  2. Open Affinity Publisher, then navigate to Edit>Preferences>Tools
  3. At the bottom of this dialogue you will find an 'Additional Dictionary Folder' path, please select Open
  4. Create a language code folder (e.g., ru_RU) in the folder that opens in Explorer and copy the downloaded dictionary files into this folder. Please note you require a .dic and an .aff file for the dictionary to be accepted. You also require a secondary .aff hyphenation file if you wish to add specific hyphenation dictionaries.
  5. Restart app.

Hi. I'm on a mac and I can't see Edit>Preferences>Tools this option. I can't see it in Affinity Publisher>Preferences>Tools either. How I can add polish hyphenation to Publisher?

7 minutes ago, ticalion said:

I'm on a mac and I can't see Edit>Preferences>Tools this option. I can't see it in Affinity Publisher>Preferences>Tools either. How I can add polish hyphenation to Publisher?

-- Walt
PC:

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC: