You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copying to Pixelmator

hmm, AD's image is a vector drawing, Pixelmator creates images with pixels - copying from AD to pixelmator would imply that the vector drawing will need to be rasterized at some point. That burden would need to be on Pixelmator's side (the receiving side of a copy-paste would know what format it needs).  

@MEB, ah didn't know that. Not likely I will use (pixel/vector) - mator now that we have AP & AD :-) I never understood the love for Pixelmator, can't stand that UI, happy Serif has a much better option...    

BTW. I've also gone cold turkey on the Adobe stuff, my CC license was due in May and I have not renewed. The only fall back option I have are old copies of Photoshop and Illustrator.   I know I am missing a bunch comparing AD/AP to Adobe but I am willing to wait it out and see what you guys are doing. 

The love for Pixelmator comes from a simple factor: performance.

It's really fast.

Compare the Repair Tool in Pixelmator and the Impainting Brush Tool in Affinity Photo.

It's like 3x faster.

I know AP is still in beta, and I expect it to get better over time. I do plan to switch. But right now it's just not as fast and reliable as Pixelmator.

• Staff

The love for Pixelmator comes from a simple factor: performance.

It's really fast.

Compare the Repair Tool in Pixelmator and the Impainting Brush Tool in Affinity Photo.

It's like 3x faster.

I know AP is still in beta, and I expect it to get better over time. I do plan to switch. But right now it's just not as fast and reliable as Pixelmator.

Hi rafaelartioli,

Can you give us an in-painting example and we can have a look? :)  We didn't think there was much in it performance-wise and we thought our results were more pleasing, so we'll gladly take a look if you've a specific case showing up these problems?

Thanks!

Matt

I just went into my Yosemite partition and compared Pixelmator 3.3.2's Healing Brush and Affinity Photo's Inpainting tool on the same rather complex area of a photograph.  Affinity did a very much better job of removing and replacing the object.  I won't be lusting to use Pixelmator in future.

• Staff

It really does just depend on the exact image and your exact selection. All algorithms will work better on some images and worse on others. I think that all the solutions I've tried (Affinity Photo, PhotoShop and the updated tool in Pixelmator) do a good enough job to get you most of the way there 95% of the time - and that's pretty exciting in my opinion :)