You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.7.2.146)

• Staff

Purpose: Features, Improvements, Fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Photo

Mac App Store: Submitted

Download DMG: Download

Auto-update: Available

Hello,

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of the first beta of Affinity Photo 1.7.2 for macOS.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is an incremental update to the 1.7.1 version recently released to all customers. We recommend that you use this beta in preference to the store version if you are affected by any of the issues listed below.

Affinity Photo Team  :ph34r:

Changes This Build

- Selection refinement - performance and stability improvements.
- Fixed clone brush issues when sampling from current layer & below.
- Inpainting performance improvements.
- Import 16bit half float JPEG-XR files properly.
- Allow .jxr files to be dragged in.
- Text performance improvements.
- Improved LAB colour conversions.
- Fixed healing brush bugs.
- Fixed badly placed stepper buttons in tone mapping UI.
- Pantone palettes are now sorted alphabetically.
- Fixed crash when starting app in a folder containing weird characters.
- Fixed yellow colour cast on certain DNG files.
- Fixed 360 degree images losing metadata on export.
- Localisation improvements.

To be notified about all future macOS beta updates, please follow this notification thread 
To be notified when this Photo update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Affinity Photo on macOS customers, please follow this thread

1 hour ago, Andy Somerfield said:

- Fixed healing brush bugs.
- Fixed badly placed stepper buttons in tone mapping UI.
- Pantone palettes are now sorted alphabetically.
- Fixed crash when starting app in a folder containing weird characters.

Hi Affinity I really and truly love ALL your products but I also really dislike the way these fixes are rolling out.  I don't want a beta running alongside the official app... anymore.  This really confuses my overall workflow. I just don't know which version to use. I'm not a beta tester, I'm a designer and want to use software that gets more periodic updates especially on important issues such as critical bug fixes as crashes.  Perhaps new features that are being designed for an upcoming version can be brought into a new beta version but the items I quotes above at least should just be regular updates. I could ignore the beta versions but now I know these bugs are there.

Evernote, Sketch and many other software apps allow the user to pick their update preferences for beta builds or only stable builds. But they don't run two separate apps. I bought Designer and Photo from the MAS and would be willing to buy your store versions if only to have the regular updates in one app and not separate beta builds.

• Staff

Hi abarkalo,
All changes we made are first implemented in the Customer Beta version so a large number of users can also test them and report issues if they want. We then release an update for the retail versions which include all those fixes. If you don't want to use the Beta (and you shouldn't if you are using the application for critical/commercial work), uninstall it from your system and just use the retail version you bought. Minor updates/fixes like these will be quickly available as an update soon.

Only the major 1.7 release took exceptionally more time due to all the code changes/integration necessary for Publisher.

2 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi abarkalo,
All changes we made are first implemented in the Customer Beta version so a large number of users can also test them and report issues. We then release an update for the retail versions which include all those fixes. If you don't want to use the Beta, uninstall it from your system and just use the retail version you bought. Minor updates/fixes like these will be quickly available as an update soon.

Only the major 1.7 release took exceptionally more time due to all the code changes/integration necessary for Publisher.

Perfect that's all I wanted to hear. I want more periodic fixes these days since Affinity "Everything" is now part of my design paradigm, and less so that other company. 

2 minutes ago, joel_ec said:

Just a little suggestion for betas... It would be nice if all betas from now could have a Beta sign in their icon as there was for the early betas of publisher... it helps easily recognizing them in the dock... 

+ 1

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

+ 1

+B

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

17 minutes ago, carl123 said:

+B

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 6/27/2019 at 8:31 AM, joel_ec said:

Just a little suggestion for betas... It would be nice if all betas from now could have a Beta sign in their icon as there was for the early betas of publisher... it helps easily recognizing them in the dock... 

It might be even better to make an even more substantial look between the beta and shipping product icons too.

I do not understand - will this become an 1.7 (sub/fix)-update or a new update like 1.8? 

However, your not lazy dogs, i really like;-), thank you! My most wishes:

1. Macros

Better/more access to still not available functions like text or smudge or reorder a layer... Better function for EDIT an existing macro... (delete or remove.... a step), also its absolut necessary to range a slider in macros (this allways 0-1000% sliders makes them often impossible to use as a slider...). Fix this please soon. And also, fix this nasty nasted-macro-in-another-macro--name-bug! If i put one/sveral "base" macros to more complex macros in a "main-macro" all "same" names: eg. a "radius" in a blur and a "radius" in eg. convex/concave, or another blur.... will take the new (my) name for ALL of its "brothers".

2. Presets

All the preset-"systems" lack of extrem  iconsisty... each one is "unique". Sometimes you can remove but not rename, sometimes there are groups, sometimes not, sometimes you cannot remove... and so on.... You never can do any BATCH-action for each of this "unique" preset-systems. For adjustmenst there is at least a possibility to save a preset but how  long-windowed way to recall this ( Why not a popup-box direct in the adjustment/ a "open-symbol" offers a menue with submenues and i can step my presets...). For filter/live-filter there is not even a way to store a preset, even for extreme difficult filters like equations....  (accept as macro)... this is so DOS 1995...  :-((((( its a big lack of Affinity-Usability and its so contra to your general SMARTNESS!

3. Brushes

Like presets and macros.... so much potential and the EASY access, the COMFORTABLE reachability, even the overview .... there is AP still in 2002... 

Believe it or not, but lot of AP-owner are more interested in brushing/tweaking/creative stunts...  than in RAW/lightroom/cropping...-features.... The fastest ACCESS to the brush i want in the best possible overview with smart shortcuts (go to last/go to standard/go to last-current....) makes brush-work a funny episode or without these a greyhair work i slavery have to do. Just look at KRIKA, this hobby-guys shows you how a fast and easy a brush-handling could be! The brushing there is so much fun... the brushing in AP is so uncomfortable/long-windowed... it feels likes 2 decades behind!

However, if this just an bugfix of 1.7 .... go to fix all open bugs first. If this is an 1.8 or so.... please keep focus on efficiency, shortest ways and FUN!

I know this from music-apps/VST...  People cry for NEW and overNEW... VERY SPECIAL and SPEED (function) features... and do not become really happy, if released. But IF a developer just made the GUI much more efficient (more intuitive, faster reachable...), all this people get unisono so much happy... 

Affinty-Link is a very good step in the big-context. Affinity-Tool would be the big step for the smaller parts. Focus on fastest access with max overview in most "uniform" way for presets (with easiest /most comfortable batch-processing) . Especially for brushes that would be a game-changer and for macros (why not an extra-menue point "macros" with its categorys/subcategorys... i have ca. 400 macros.... its a Zumutung (unreasonable demand imposition) to find that one i current want.... just a menu with dynamic categorys/subcategorys would help. 

STEINBERG was the creator of VST-sampler. But first LOGIC made the (stolen idea/ the code...) really comfortable usable, via dynamic menu! in 2001 LOGIC (as exclusive-apple-app) was a reason for such musicians too switch to mac! STEINBERG was the original, but not easy to use. LOGIC was the SMART thief! And the winner was the thief, just because the better GUI! 

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

1 minute ago, Polygonius said:

I do not understand - will this become an 1.7 (sub/fix)-update or a new update like 1.8?

The thread title tells us all we need to know! This is beta build 146 for version 1.7.2. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The thread title tells us all we need to know! This is beta build 146 for version 1.7.2. :)

In other words a "fix- or just nerd-subupdate" to the "main"- update??? Exactly what nerds like me want ;-)

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

5 hours ago, fde101 said:

Hmm... maybe flip them upside down?

But seriously what I was think more is instead of having small B on the icon quite similar to notifications in other apps maybe experiment with scale and different colors. I point out before the Firefox beta icon worked pretty well. They removed the fox so the icon just became the globe. It was familiar enough, as of course it should be, but different enough to tell which was beta and not at a glance.

17 minutes ago, fde101 said:

You seem to have missed an important one: there is now an "Edit in Publisher" command in the File menu.

:6_smile::27_sunglasses:

Don't go getting my hopes up.

518414952_ScreenShot2019-06-30at5_05_12PM.thumb.png.5f12654ca458efc5c2b5d02646b4be0c.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Don't go getting my hopes up.

The beta version is for 1.7.2, so it is probably looking for Publisher 1.7.2 (beta), which I don't believe I have seen a download link for yet?

The released version is 1.7.1...

Either way, 1.7.1 did not even have the menu item, so this is a step.

1 minute ago, fde101 said:

The beta version is for 1.7.2, so it is probably looking for Publisher 1.7.2 (beta), which I don't believe I have seen a download link for yet?

That was my conclusion when I noticed it on Windows, and found it wouldn't work yet :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 6/27/2019 at 11:31 AM, joel_ec said:

Here is a Dropbox link to a .icns file I created so you can switch out the existing beta icon with one that will stand out:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7m5vdm48anqtsl/AppIcon.icns?dl=0

I just inverted the existing icon art and added a "beta" character in the existing magenta-ish hue.  The .icns file just needs to be dropped on the icon for the beta app when you open the "Get Info" window:

1) Select the beta application in the finder (click on it);

2) Use the keyboard shortcut CMD-I (the letter "eye") to bring up the Get Info window for the application;

3) Drag the <AppIcon.icns> file onto the existing icon for the beta application in the upper left corner of the Get Info window.

4) Easy peasy.

Attached images show a preview of the icon and its appearance in the dock (i compressed the posted images for quick upload - the icon art is not JPEG-artifacted as it appears in the previews).  The icon artwork was made in the 1.7.2 beta and contains all of the resolution variations that the original .icns file contains.  To convert the .icns file to a .iconset (folder of images), use the OS X command line utility called "iconutil" - type:

man iconutil

for help on how to use it.  If you convert the existing .icns file to an iconset, you can see all of the PNG files used to make the icns file and you can create your own - then you can convert the iconset back to a .icns file and drop it on the Get Info window and you will have your own, custom icon.

If you want to make a copy of the existing icns file that ships with the beta, so you can alter it for your custom icon, it lives here:

/Applications/Affinity\ Photo\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/AppIcon.icns

Here is a brief rundown of Apple's human interface guidelines for creating icon artwork, resolution, etc.:

https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/macos/icons-and-images/app-icon/

Have fun!

Kirk

preview.jpg

dock.jpg

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.