You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pasting text from word gets a bunch of in-line text boxes

Hi. This is getting me nuts and I don't know whats happening.

When I copy text from Word and paste it inside a text frame on Publisher, what I get is a bunch of in-line text boxes (One for each original line of text).pasteword.thumb.jpg.9190f514e89669f26a7750a0e9f8bb6e.jpg

It doesn't mind if I paste directly or if I use Paste without format. The output is the same. Pasted text is not even in the paragraph style.

I don't remember this happening on the betas. Any suggestion will be pretty well received.

By the way, I'd love to have a preference setting for "Paste text as without format"  on the preference pane so we can optionally use command+v directly without bringing Word garbage and without having to do finger yoga with the keyboard, but that is another story. 

Mac OS 10.14.5
Word 10.26
Publisher 1.7.2
Tested on different machines, all same output.

After further research, i've just refined when is this happening.

Is the start/end of paragraph from Word what is creating the issue. If I copy and paste part of text not including start or end of paragraphs, is paste without problem. As soon as I copy including the first or the last letter of a paragraph then is pasted as a text box. Is pretty weird.

Also, this is exclusively a Copy from Word issue. If I copy in Word, paste and copy on another app (Pages, Text edit…) and then paste on Designer/Publisher, the issue disappears. So is clearly the Affinity apps conflicting with some hidden format in the Word copied code.

19 minutes ago, Jon P said:

Can you attach a word document that you are copying from?

Thanks

Not the whole document, but an extract, as the original contains info from customer that  i'm not allowed to share. You could test the issue with it anyway.

Also, I've attached a Publisher doc with the text pasted, in case you can't reproduce the issue. At least you will watch how the text gets pasted.

As mentioned early in the thread, the issue happens when the copied text includes end of paragraphs.

As temporal solution, we are opening the docx files with pages, that allows us to copy and paste with no issues.

extract.docx

pasted text.afpub

Thanks. Nice to know is getting logged.

Unfortunately File > place will not work for me on this document, as it has so much complexity (Complex tables that don't flow on publisher and complex charts to be redone and undesired formating and styles) that will add excessive work to clean up.

I Will work with opening in Pages and copy+paste.

Thanks to you and the team.

6 hours ago, Daniel Gibert said:

I Will work with opening in Pages and copy+paste.

The little extract you supplied opened in Text Edit with formatting and when saved as an .rtf file worked fine. The formatting was there in Publisher but no styles were imported.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Moderators, FYI:

I'm seeing the same result as Daniel Gibert ... a string of in-line text boxes, one for each original line of text. (See the attached image.)

In my case, though:

1. I am using File > Place

2. I'm placing a PDF (not a Word doc, although it was originally created in Word)

3. I'm embedding

Hope you can debug this soon! :D

File-Place-PDF-embedded.png