You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Plug-Ins not showing up under "Filters"

I only just found this Forum section so please forgive the duplicate post.

I used to have NIK and Topaz available as plug-ins under the "Filters" drop down menu.
I'm currently running v1.7.1.404 under Windows 7 and when I went to use Topaz, neither Topaz nor NIK now appear under the "Filters" drop down.

I can still run Topaz Studio as a stand alone but I'd like it, and NIK, to appear in the Filters drop down menu.

Has this been "broken" as a result of the 1.7.1 update?

6 hours ago, Brian_G said:

Has this been "broken" as a result of the 1.7.1 update?

Not for me, no.  But I am running Win 10, 1809, rather than Win 7. 

All my Topaz and Nik Collection 2 filters are listed and usable (except Nik HDR Efex Pro 2, which opens with a blank work screen, but I will start a new thread about that, once I've had more time to check whether the problem is being caused by user error).

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

• Staff

Hi Brian_G,

There was an issue with the initial update, however a lot of our users are reporting that the plugins are starting to work with the newest beta. If you haven't already gone through the process of re-adding them, I would give it a go as they may have been knocked out from the Preferences > Plugins dialog.

I have now got both my NIK and Topaz plug-ins working by using the Edit>Preferences>Photoshop Plugins menu.

However, I'd like to streamline the interface if I can.

I originally had several Topaz programs as plug-ins, but recently Topaz have unified all their software packages under the banner of Topaz Studio.
When I select the Plug-ins under the "Filters" drop down in Affinity I see all my Topaz programs, including Studio.
However, whichever plug-in I select it always launches Studio.
What I'd like to do is delete everything that isn't "Topaz Studio" so that I can just select that one item.
When I'm in the "Photoshop Plugins" setup menu, I can see all the Topaz programs listed but I don't seem to be able to edit or delete them.
I have "Allow unknown plug ins to be used" checked.

It's not a major problem and everything works fine as it is, but I'd just like to tidy things up.

8 hours ago, Brian_G said:

I have now got both my NIK and Topaz plug-ins working by using the Edit>Preferences>Photoshop Plugins menu.

However, I'd like to streamline the interface if I can.

I originally had several Topaz programs as plug-ins, but recently Topaz have unified all their software packages under the banner of Topaz Studio.
When I select the Plug-ins under the "Filters" drop down in Affinity I see all my Topaz programs, including Studio.
However, whichever plug-in I select it always launches Studio.
What I'd like to do is delete everything that isn't "Topaz Studio" so that I can just select that one item.
When I'm in the "Photoshop Plugins" setup menu, I can see all the Topaz programs listed but I don't seem to be able to edit or delete them.
I have "Allow unknown plug ins to be used" checked.

It's not a major problem and everything works fine as it is, but I'd just like to tidy things up.

Just set it up like you see in my screenshot, you just need to use the top folder in each directory and the plugin files will be picked up, don't point to the folder that photoshop plugins are installed in as some products use links and not the actual plugin files. In this case all NIK, older Topaz and new Topaz show including things like Clarity in Studio:

image.png.2805fb560de34f335e5d5854d55334a8.png

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

Thanks.

That's exactly the same as I see.
AFX Pro2 and CFX Pro4 are the only NIK programs that are highlighted as "Working", although all the others appear to work as well.
TBH the only NIK program I ever use is Silver Efex Pro2 and that works OK, although I'm finding some of the other recent B&W conversion programs are producing results just as good as the ones I can get with Silver Efex, so I'm probably going to be using that less in future.
The slightly annoying thing is, whatever Topaz program I select (like "Adjust" or "Detail") it actually opens "Topaz Studio", which also appears on the list as a separate program.
I can then select the plug-in from within "Studio" and use it that way.
I only use the 64-bit versions so my plug-in programs are in the "Program Files" directory and I don't need any "Program Files (X86)
I thought Affinity was a 64-bit program, so why are you using 32-bit (x86) plug-ins?

I wanted to edit the list so that ONLY "Topaz Studio" appears, but apparently this doesn't seem possible.
As I said, it's not a problem, just an irritation, so I'll learn to live with it.

1 hour ago, Brian_G said:

The slightly annoying thing is, whatever Topaz program I select (like "Adjust" or "Detail") it actually opens "Topaz Studio", which also appears on the list as a separate program.
I can then select the plug-in from within "Studio" and use it that way.

Doesn't happen with the directions I gave above.

Please post a screenshot of your preferences.

Topaz Studio should appear like this with direct links to open the plugins such as Clarity, Detail, Glow, Simplify and Impression which are actually part of Studio.

image.png.7141f6fcc40cf9ffbc28e8c5b63186d5.png

PC2 HP Pavilion - 

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

1 hour ago, Brian_G said:

I only use the 64-bit versions so my plug-in programs are in the "Program Files" directory and I don't need any "Program Files (X86)
I thought Affinity was a 64-bit program, so why are you using 32-bit (x86) plug-ins?

Even though they are inthe (X86) folder they are 64bit, just the way older plugins were arranged.

PC2 HP Pavilion - 

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

4 minutes ago, AiDon said:

Even though they are inthe (X86) folder they are 64bit, just the way older plugins were arranged.

Strange.
All my plug-ins are in the 64-bit programs folder.
There are no Topaz plug-ins in the Programs(x86) folder.

Sudden thought: I'm using Win7, are there differences with Win10?

10 minutes ago, AiDon said:

Doesn't happen with the directions I gave above.

Please post a screenshot of your preferences.

As I said, the view I have is the same as your screenshot.
The only difference is I do not have a "Programs (x86)" folder, since all of my plug-ins are in the "Programs" folder.
I'm not at my desktop machine at the moment so I cannot post a screenshot.

All this discussion is irrelevant and does not answer my question of how I can remove the un-needed Topaz plug-ins from the plug-ins list?

23 hours ago, Brian_G said:

All this discussion is irrelevant and does not answer my question of how I can remove the un-needed Topaz plug-ins from the plug-ins list?

The solution to that is to select the plugins you want, in this case for Studio only, the plugin file tltopazstudiops_x64.8bf from C:\Program Files\Topaz Labs\Topaz Studio\PS_Plugins_x64, copy that to the Affinity Plugins folder at C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Plugins and remove the Topaz folders from your list in preferences.

You can do the same for the Adjust AI (update from Adjust 5) plugin.

Please note though that every time the Topaz apps are updated you will have to recopy the plugin files.

PC2 HP Pavilion - 

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

12 hours ago, AiDon said:

The solution to that is to select the plugins you want, in this case for Studio only, the plugin file tltopazstudiops_x64.8bf from C:\Program Files\Topaz Labs\Topaz Studio\PS_Plugins_x64, copy that to the Affinity Plugins folder at C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Plugins and remove the Topaz folders from your list in preferences.

You can do the same for the Adjust AI (update from Adjust 5) plugin.

Please note though that every time the Topaz apps are updated you will have to recopy the plugin files.

Thank you very much for the suggestions.
Since Topaz seem to frequently update their software, I'm not sure I want to keep recopying the files.

I've now taken some screen grabs of the plug-ins setup page to illustrate what I'm saying about the folders.
None of my plug-ins are in my Program Files(x86) folder since they are all 64-bit files.
I'm no expert, but I thought 64-bit files always went into the "Program Files" folder and 32-bit files were in the "Program Files(x86)" folder.
I don't understand how you can install 64-bit files into the x86 program folder.
This is what I see on my system:

AffinityPlugins_1.jpg.559155948327437c812649020573092a.jpg

AffinityPlugins_2.jpg.3408fb2161bca880e8c47489034c0547.jpg

The only option I really need for Topaz is Topaz Studio, since whichever Topaz plug-in I select it launches Studio.
I simply wanted to tidy things up so that Studio was the only Topaz option.
It's not a big deal and I can live with it the way it is, so it's a case of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

2 hours ago, Brian_G said:

It's not a big deal and I can live with it the way it is, so it's a case of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Just check my previous post, that will allow you to use just Studio ... from what I can see those 6 are Studio versions so those will open with the presets showing.

PC2 HP Pavilion - 

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

On 7/9/2019 at 2:10 AM, AiDon said:

Just check my previous post, that will allow you to use just Studio ... from what I can see those 6 are Studio versions so those will open with the presets showing.

Yes, but in your previous post you said when Topaz updated their software I'd have to re copy the plug-in files.

Just recently there seems to be a Topaz update every time I launch the program, so I'd rather not have the hassle.
As I said It's not a big deal and I can live with it the way it is.

Thank you very much for your input.