You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Turn off auto colour Picker and best stylus to use

Hi Guys 

I have a couple of questions that I hope someone might be able to assist me with?

I am using an Ipad air 2 with the affinity designer (I am trying to avoid upgrading to Ipad pro) and looking for a possible workaround. 

The problem I am having is that I have tried a stylus (Adonit Pixel) to use to draw vector art however the when I press down using the stylus the color picker engages (auto), I have tried turning this off, but it stills seems to happen the color wheel chooses white again ?? 

I know that if you press your finger (or a stylus) for a second or two the color picker/color wheel engages, however, this seems to happen almost instantly 

For example: If you can imagine that I am trying to draw a simple black line (like an outline of the face or bird etc) however when I press down on iPad to draw, the program seems to keep recognizing (the white background color of document) and changes the black selected color for the brush stroke to white, so I end up white lines on a white background (not what I am going for )  

Is there some way to: 

A. Turn off the color picker function? (preferred option) 

B. Lock in the selected (black) color in place? (second choice) 

C. Desensitize/reduce the pressure of the stylus/finger (so it doesn't auto-select) so you then need to (hold longer / harder) to engage the picker (this still could work) 

As you can imagine this is very frustrating, I really like the program ...but this is really grinding me to a halt. 

On another point:  does anyone have a recommendation for a stylus that is similar to an apple pencil (eg: a finer tip for greater control and better tactile feedback) that will work on the Ipad air 2 for drawing on affinity Designer?    

Cheers 

• Staff

Hi thebigD,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately we only officially support the Apple Pencil (gen 1 & gen 2) for use with our apps, so we have not tested or verified the Adonit Pixel with Affinity and unexpected behaviour may occur.

There's no current way to disable or change the settings for the colour picker, nor can you 'lock' a colour in place, my apologies.

On 6/27/2019 at 7:49 AM, thebigD said:

does anyone have a recommendation for a stylus that is similar to an apple pencil (eg: a finer tip for greater control and better tactile feedback) that will work on the Ipad air 2 for drawing on affinity Designer?    

We only recommend the Apple Pencil for use with Affinity, so I unfortunately don't.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 6/27/2019 at 7:49 AM, thebigD said:

I am using an Ipad air 2 with the affinity designer (I am trying to avoid upgrading to Ipad pro) and looking for a possible workaround. 

The problem I am having is that I have tried a stylus (Adonit Pixel) to use to draw vector art however the when I press down using the stylus the color picker engages (auto), I have tried turning this off, but it stills seems to happen the color wheel chooses white again ?? 

I know that if you press your finger (or a stylus) for a second or two the color picker/color wheel engages, however, this seems to happen almost instantly

I’m using an iPad Air 2 with a Meko stylus (supplied as a pack of two at a fraction of the price of a single Adonit Pixel stylus) and I get the same usable behaviour as I get with my finger: I only invoke the colour picker if I long-press and drag. If I long-press without dragging I get a pop-up menu, and if I draw without first long-pressing I get a brush or pen stroke in the original chosen colour.

The Meko stylus has a little transparent disc on the tip, so it isn’t for everyone, but I’m quite happy with it.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 6/28/2019 at 10:55 PM, Alfred said:

I’m using an iPad Air 2 with a Meko stylus (supplied as a pack of two at a fraction of the price of a single Adonit Pixel stylus) and I get the same usable behaviour as I get with my finger: I only invoke the colour picker if I long-press and drag. If I long-press without dragging I get a pop-up menu, and if I draw without first long-pressing I get a brush or pen stroke in the original chosen colour.

The Meko stylus has a little transparent disc on the tip, so it isn’t for everyone, but I’m quite happy with it.

Hi Meko, ok thanks for your response I have ended up buying an Adonit Pixel stylus which seems to do the job kind of OK sort of, (not as good as an apple pencil BUT I am on Ipad air 2, so that doesn't option is available )

The color picker is a real-time waster (in the context) of just continually engaging, a simple OFF button or color LOCK-IN would be amazingly appreciated, hope the developers take note of this thread.

I did three pieces of art over the weekend and would estimate that 20-30% or more time, was me continually changing the outline color back and forth over and over again.. like I said the excellent program, (really very impressed with its overall capabilities) just needs a simple (I would imagine tweak)    

I will try going straight into drawing as opposed to waiting etc and see if that makes any difference. 

Cheers 

On 6/28/2019 at 10:55 PM, Alfred said:

Hi Dan C, ok thanks for your response I have ended up buying an Adonit Pixel stylus which seems to do the job kind of OK sort of, (not as good as an apple pencil BUT I am on Ipad air 2, so that option is not available )

The color picker is a real-time waster (in the context) of just continually engaging, a simple OFF button or color LOCK-IN would be amazingly appreciated, hope the developers take note of this thread.

I did three pieces of art over the weekend and would estimate that 20-30% or more time, was me continually changing the outline color back and forth over and over again.. like I said the excellent program, (really very impressed with its overall capabilities) just needs a simple (I would imagine tweak)    

Cheers 

• 5 months later...

Please tell me you’ve solved this problem. It’s way into December when I’m reading this thread for the first time. I’m having the same issue. I have the latest I-Pad 2019 addition and this Designer software does the same thing.The background color comes up when I’m trying to do line drawing. There has to be an off switch on the color picker, right? How do I stop this thing from switching on me? I have four different stylus’ and it does the same thing on all of them.

Another question is if I buy the Apple Pencil 1st or 2nd generation, will it solve the color picker problem? I don’t want to spend the money on it if the problem still remains.

UPDATE: 

I solved my problem with the color picker. It seems I needed to buy the Apple Pencil 1st generation to make it work. I’m not sure why only Apple pencils can be used but I bought one and now I’m ready to use the Designer, Photo and Publisher products. I’ll like you know how it works.

TJH Art Studio