You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Modify stroke width / pressure profile directly on the line

Hi,

I'm sure this must have been asked before but I couldn't easily find a similar topic.

Is there a way yet to modify the varying stroke width that a pressure profile creates, but directly on the curve? I've switched to Designer early after it came out and it's my day-to-day screen design tool now. For illustration and lettering work however I've always missed the ability to use a tool directly on my strokes and lines to fine tune their line thickness in place.

The only way I see at the moment is still the Pressure window next to the stroke properties window in the dialog that opens when you click the line thickness. There I can edit the pressure curve and see the result on my canvas. At times this feels a bit blunt though, because I'm editing widths in a tiny window for a potentially long stroke where I want certain variations in very particular places.

The node tool already shows a line perpendicular to the path when hovering over it that kind of looks like it could hint at a way to modify line thickness right there, but I was unable to find a combination of modifier keys to perform the action. I was hoping the newly added sculpt mode of the pencil tool may be what I need but it turns out to be something entirely different.

This is really the only feature I'm still missing from Designer compared to the tools I've used before, and thankfully Designer does a boat load more for me and my particular needs than any previous tool I've used, so it's hard for me to complain. Still, please add my vote for such a tool so that we'll be able to fine tune stroke thicknesses in place.

P.S.: Layering strokes of various blend modes and pressure profiles with the new multiple stroke feature yields amazing results.

Unfortunately not yet but I'm pretty sure that feature will be added at some point.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I completely agree with lastfuture . I am switching from Illustrator to Affinity Designer, and so far have not found much to regret. In fact, the Pressure graph is the only other thing I still find dodgy, the other being that freehand strokes (meaning drawn with pen pressure on and Wacom tablet) often end in strange 'broken' artifacts. It looks like AD has trouble closing freehand strokes.

But, going back to the Pressure graph, yes, it does make want for a more detailed tool. You don't want to be looking both at the graph and a t the stroke whilst trying to 'nail' the right width. It feels like happenstance. The rest of this beautiful software is so fast and friendly (love it) that it makes this particular tool stand out as quite annoying.