You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP still not working...

Even with the patch, my beloved AP is broken.  Just spent two hours editing an image, and I merely went to zoom in on my image, and AP totally crashed and I lost all of my work!  It is also very slow and still laggy.  I’m so frustrated and upset right now.  AP has become entirely useless to me.  I loved editing before this update on my 2018 iPad Pro.  When I bought my iPad I was trying to choose between the iPad or a laptop, and went with the iPad because it was such a joy to edit on my older iPad Pro.  Now I’m regretting my choice.  At this point, AP and my iPad are both useless to me.  I hope this is fixed soon, because I’m losing money big time.

• Staff

Hey cas_2021,

I'm so sorry you lost your work :( It's very odd that after 2 hours, the app didn't recover anything. It should have asked you to recover so you should have only lost 5 minutes if you haven't changed the default recovery time.

Lots of improvements have been made in the beta and once it has had some more testing, these improvements and fixes will make their way to the App Store version.

4 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey cas_2021,

I'm so sorry you lost your work :( It's very odd that after 2 hours, the app didn't recover anything. It should have asked you to recover so you should have only lost 5 minutes if you haven't changed the default recovery time.

Hi Chris...it didn’t give me any option...it just completely closed down and went to my home screen.  When I went back into AP, everything was gone.  My image wasn’t even in the home screen...it was just gone.

• Staff

Did you return to the Home screen at any point prior to the crash? If you work solid for x amount of time without returning to the Home screen, the auto-recovery may not kick in if you crash. 

We've just released a new beta via Testflight and I'm going over it now and there's been a lot of improvements. Hopefully it won't be long until we can release this to the App Store. 

23 hours ago, Chris B said:

Did you return to the Home screen at any point prior to the crash? If you work solid for x amount of time without returning to the Home screen, the auto-recovery may not kick in if you crash.  

Hi, @Chris B - is this by design?!

@cas_2021 - I have also found 'Auto-Recovery' very unreliable for long working sessions, so I no longer assume it will just work. What I do is 'Save a Copy' every so often (I try to go for every 10min but often it's every 20-30min). Then I just delete old copies from my iPad - more work, more resources used, but time and again that saved copy has stored more work than 'Auto Recovery'/Auto Save on crash. Hope this helps.

@Pauscorpi I prefer to Save a Copy once. Then use 'Open from Cloud' to open this 'copy'. Now you will have a 'Save' option available in Document Menu and it updates the copy file on saving.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

On 6/26/2019 at 9:24 PM, cas_2021 said:

Even with the patch, my beloved AP is broken.  Just spent two hours editing an image, and I merely went to zoom in on my image, and AP totally crashed and I lost all of my work!  It is also very slow and still laggy.  I’m so frustrated and upset right now.  AP has become entirely useless to me.  I loved editing before this update on my 2018 iPad Pro.  When I bought my iPad I was trying to choose between the iPad or a laptop, and went with the iPad because it was such a joy to edit on my older iPad Pro.  Now I’m regretting my choice.  At this point, AP and my iPad are both useless to me.  I hope this is fixed soon, because I’m losing money big time.

Sorry you lost all your work but along time ago I learned about the 'glitch witch', that got me when I didn't save my work regularly. Just remember to press that little back arrow, top left corner, and then reopen which guarantees you don't lose it all.

A laptop will also crash and you could again lose everything.

Personally I find this great app extremely useful, not broken at all, even when it has occasionally crashed on me.  

Help the devs by sending them the crash report. 

Privacy - Analytics - Analytics Data scroll thru and look for the crash

• Staff
10 hours ago, p_mac said:

Privacy - Analytics - Analytics Data scroll thru and look for the crash

Thanks p_mac. @cas_2021 - If you ever get a crash on iPad, this is where you go to send us the report. You can Share the file as an .ips file to a cloud facility and then attach it here in a forum post.