You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Having a headline span two columns?

Firstly, I am deeply impressed with Affinity Publisher 1.7.1 - I love the big improvements like being able to edit pictures or vector graphics directly from Publisher, but also the many little tweaks that have improved usability. speed, and fun and bear witness to your hard work and dedication!

Now I have come across a challenge: I have set up the master page of an A5 page publication with two text columns. Works great with body text. Starting a new article I would like its headline to automatically span two columns. Although the settings of paragraph  styles and text frames are wonderfully impressive, I find no way of doing that. Am I just asking more than is technically possible, or have I overlooked something?

Will I have to manually create a text frame for each headline to span more than one column? 

OneColumnHeadline.PNG

SpanningColumns.PNG

Lenovo laptop with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. Former user of most Serif software from PagePlus 3.0 through PagePlus X9, now enjoying Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher.

8 minutes ago, NilsFinken said:

Starting a new article I would like its headline to automatically span two columns.

This is much requested and I can only hope it will be in Publisher sooner rather than later.

What I do is make a separate one column text frame and flow the text out of that and then into the next one which is two columns.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks, Old Bruce! I will stop searching and use your method - and continue using Publisher! :)

Lenovo laptop with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. Former user of most Serif software from PagePlus 3.0 through PagePlus X9, now enjoying Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher.

Definitely not practical here but maybe any later moment: the checkbox "No break" in Character panel.
With interesting position if centered or right aligned. And text selection/correction is hard to handle if it's in another column.

2122683968_columnsnobreakhead1.jpg.99ae20f09f50434b2c381d6eb79b3465.jpg

1177450846_columnsnobreakhead2.jpg.5ec04bfba574f916405239e53362bc86.jpg   1654439568_columnsnobreakhead3.jpg.352f1afc602afa7befa3f4cb0ad516c9.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1