You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to convert colors into 100 percent K only ?

Hi guys

On CMYK files, I need to remove the CMY color to keep only the K !

On Affinity designer, my vector files looks like a variation of grey with for example, one of the grey as C20 M55 Y45 K01.
So I need to convert all color Cxxx Mxxx Yxxx Kxxx => into C0 M0 Y0 Kx with x = a range from 0 to 100 to get all grayscale

1) if I update the color format with Configuration> Color > Grey > Greyscale D50, that's doesn't work
2) if I copy paste the file into a new document with greyscale format : that's doesn't work (even if I have color, color was removed but becoming C42 M48 Y15 K20 not C0 M0 Y0 K50)

Could you give me tips to fix that with Affinity designer  ?

Thanks for your help

Nicolas

If you want to have all colors moved to K only then you can assign a "Black and White" adjustment. (keeps contrast)
If you want to eliminate/ignore CMY but have only K left then you can use the button "K only" in the tool bar. (reduces contrast)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thanks Tomaso

1) "Black and white" adjustement works well. Unfiortunately, after I update all grey objects in K Only, I need to select several objects to bring colors. And I cannot separate all the grey layers having the adjustement and add above the colored objects. So Seems that I cannot use this solution.
2) I discovered the K Only Button on Publisher, indeed but seems it only apprear for photo, not for vector objects. I miss something?

In attachment, an example of what I receive, and what I need to produce if that can help to understand my need.
Thanks for your support

K-only then color.afdesign

Tricky indeed. Because Affinity seems to treat all Black as RGB – even imported objects with K only – you apparently need to export as PDF/X-1a to really get K-only, with the disadvantage of rasterizing vector layers which have a color mode effect or adjustment assigned.

The workaround requests to split black and color objects to be able to handle them different, since the colored layers sit between black layers. The goal is, finally to place the colored layer (contains brown only) on top of the rest (k-only) with color mode multiply.

I see mainly two ways to go:

A. Via PDF/X-1a, rasterized:
1. Select all colored objects (brown) > group them > move them as top layer > set them to invisble
2.* Export as PDF/X-1a * (see below)
3. Import it
4. Set the colored layers to visible > color mode multiply
5. Export all together as PDF/X-3 or 1a

B. Keeping vectors, no rasterizing:
__ Black-only:
1. Create a color swatch with  0 0 0 100 K.
2. Select all TEXT objects > group them on top > assign the 100 K fill > set them to invisible for step 3
3. Select ALL objects –> deselect those which have NO black stroke assigned (the 5 browns + some whites + the thick gray stroke)
4. Assign the K-only swatch as stroke color
__ Color (brown):
5. Clean up the white filled and the colored (brown) shapes with the geometry tool to have brown objects not covered with white objects
6. Select all colored objects > group them
7. Select the thick grey stroke (background) and convert it to a shape/curve.
8. Subtract a copy of the colored objects with geometry tool from this grey shape
9. Set the layer of colored objects to color mode "Multiply"
10. Export

Attached a result sample for the way A., with 1 fault:
I haven't done step A.1., therefore the brown objects can not be set to "multiply" but to "darken" only, so they show these grayish strokes on them.
K-only then color_ot_comp X3.pdf

* EDIT: Oh, in A. I forgot between 1 and 2 to assign either Black and White adjustment before export as X/1-a – or simply do export as grayscale with B&W profile !!

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1