You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher - Spell checker - learn

Hi

I have just restarted a book I was working on.

Publisher happily underlines in red, it happily changes  incorrect words. But I'm having a problem with 'learn spelling'.

Example  "hoody" is underlined in red. I press the 'learn spelling' and it stays underlined. Has it learned it or not?

Is this an error  or have I missed something.

Additional Spelling questions 

1. how do I edit the dictionay. 
  2. Can I use two languages English and Welsh

Regards

Princy

(Using W11 Pro on desktop)

Can you supply a sample .afpub file, so others can experiment with what you're seeing an see if there are any settings that might affect it? In any case, when I choose Learn for a mis-spelled word, the red underline goes away.

1. You add words to the dictionary by using Learn. If you have mistakenly "learned" something that is incorrect, select the word, right-click on it, and choose "Unlearn <the word>". As far as I know, that's all you can do about editing the dictionary.

2. Yes. You can specify a spelling language in a Paragraph Style (by default, I believe, the Base style is set to your UI language, and other styles inherit from it) or a Character Style, or directly in the Character panel. So, you would probably set your paragraph styles to use your predominant language (or let them inherit from Base), and then define another style that specifies the other language. Then just set the appropriate style as you go.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

HI Walt, Craig

Thanks to both for input.

OK Walt. As my book is somewhat personal I can not actually send anything to the group. However it has forced me into starting a new book to test the spelling.

My problem book has a problem with many words, it will not function with virtually any of the spelling tasks you give it.  This book is an import from another piece of software and was carried over in rtf format.

NOw the test book. I just added a single text frame and typed a few para's then randomly included some of the underlined text from the faulty book. Guess what, spell checking is working perfectly. However if I go back to the faulty book with the reds in, the underlines are still there and it wants me to unlearn. unlearn the reds are still there.

So my problem solved but not why it did it in the first place..... I'll try a few others in the next few days as different transfer files like pdf etc.

Craig, thanks for the information and methods. That's tomorrows job. My Welsh is no longer usable, but I still use a lot of Welsh words in some of the things I write for my homeland.

Thanks both, hope the above makes sense, it's been a long day with 500 miles driving under my belt 

Regards

Regards

Princy

(Using W11 Pro on desktop)