You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello all

I'm new here and this is my first question.  At the moment I use Adobe Photography plan £9.98 per month which is not a great expense I know.  Trouble is I might use the software once or twice a month as I'm a novice so not really getting my moneys worth.  In my slow approach in using this software I am starting to feel quite at home with it but also feel I'm giving my money away for what I get out of it.   I would also like to use  Illustrator but that pushes the cost way past what I would pay for my low usage.

I could be wrong but felt Photoshop and Lightroom worked better running on my Mac OS and slower if installed on my Windows 10. (Boot camp + i7cpu  Dell Laptop)

If I was to buy Affinity Designer and may be in time Affinity Photo would they be better installed on Mac OS or Windows 10 or do they perform the same on either?

Thanks for any advice.

• Staff

The licence that comes with the Affinity apps isn't cross platform, if you wanted to use the apps on both macOS and Windows you would need to purchase a version for each OS. We do have free 10 day trials of Designer and Photo available for macOS and Windows from our site at the bottom of each product page.

I was not asking if it was cross platform and know I would need to purchase a version for each OS .  That was not my question. 

I was asking will the software run BETTER on Mac OS or Windows OS or make no difference which I install on?

I can't make up my mind if I should buy/install on my Mac Machines or my Window Machines.  I don't need to run on both, it's one or the other but which is the question?

• Staff

Which do you feel more comfortable using Mac or Windows and which has the better spec?  Both versions have most of the same features, a few small differences are due to the OS. If you have a compatible Mac you can enable Metal compute which helps with performance as Windows doesn't have options for graphics acceleration yet.

47 minutes ago, GB007 said:

I was not asking if it was cross platform and know I would need to purchase a version for each OS .  That was not my question. 

There are more people read a post than just you, so giving more info, it helps others that do not know that licences are not cross-platform.

On 6/26/2019 at 5:01 PM, GB007 said:

Mac OS and slower if installed on my Windows 10. (Boot camp + i7cpu  Dell Laptop)

Your message is a bit vague so can you add more detail, do you have Hackintosh on a Dell with a bootcamp windows 10 or do you have a PC/Laptop and a Mac computer? also, which Mac OS X do you have?

If I was to buy Affinity Designer and may be in time Affinity Photo would they be better installed on Mac OS or Windows 10 or do they perform the same on either?

If you have separate computers, give comparative specs.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

36 minutes ago, GB007 said:

That wasn’t clear from your OP, where you asked:

You made it sound ask though you thought you could purchase a licence and then decide later which platform you were going to use.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2019 at 9:14 AM, GB007 said:

I was asking will the software run BETTER on Mac OS or Windows OS or make no difference which I install on?

I can't make up my mind if I should buy/install on my Mac Machines or my Window Machines.  I don't need to run on both, it's one or the other but which is the question?

In my experience the short answer for various reasons is Mac here, even I tend to use both OS daily.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

On 7/1/2019 at 12:14 AM, GB007 said:

As others have pointed out, details that are not yet available matter in terms of "in your specific case"  but in the general case, I think you can assume macOS might get a little more performance love earlier than Windows. Case in point: Serif and their cooperation with Apple regarding Metal acceleration (and regardless of Apple's participation, the more complex environment for GPU compute support on the Windows side).

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers