You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1 hour 50 mins to open 1.7.1.afdesign file

Getting desperate to finish some artwork, but it takes 1 hour 50 mins to open in 1.7.1 but used to take 4 mins in 1.6 if designer bombs like it did yesterday, over something random that it occasionally does, I have nearly a 2 hour wait until I can carry on from where I left off - I recently reported this bug last Friday, and goes more into detail with the bug, but it just shows as unread content so prob only I can see it :-

Just be good to know that others can see this post as it seems to be a pretty annoying bug

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Hi. I did see your post and was midway replying when I got a phone call. I reread and I'm not sure if you've got an issue with Designer or publisher? I was replying to it being designer and then realised I think you're talking about Publisher? If so you might not be getting replies in the Designer thread. 

Hi Ash thanks for your response I was beginning to think there was a bug with my posts showing up

It is Designer that is the problem, although I have managed to open the file in Pub, which I didn't time, but left loading for around 3 hours before returning, I also had other pub files open and went to the print dialog which bombed publisher but the file is a .afdesign file which I've been working on for around 7 months off and on 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

www.bingercreative.co.uk

I can feel your pain. I'm also working on a childrens book and tested my opening times earlier to do a comparison. My current image has several thousand layers and only takes 7 seconds to open. I'm not using metal as I turned it off in the previous version and haven't turned it back on. I have never really tried to use Designer for page layout though. I think you said you'd done books previously that way with no issues, so I'm wondering if somehow your file has become somehow corrupt. Not sure if this will work for you but I had an issue with a document refusing to save some time back. I created an identical blank document and copied and pasted everything page by page into that and it saved with no issues. Might be worth a try if you're on a time constraint and can't get any more useful suggestions. Sorry I can't be of more help but didn't want to see you thinking no-one could see your post.

Already tried that Ash and it fixed the issue of sluggish pan and zoom getting around the document and even now, once it's actually open, it's loads faster than the original document to get around also the screen re-fresh is a lot quicker - but the old 'sluggish' document started off taking 4 minutes to open (in 1.7 beta) then 15 minutes (in app store 1.7) then the new (fast re-draw, pan and zoom) doc takes 1 hour 50 mins to open (in 1.7.1) - I do all the vector and texture work in designer (26 art boards) then save via export persona as high rez tiffs. the actual book is all layed out in publisher all tiffs are linked and its super quick to work on plus I can just tweak the odd element in designer and export and it auto updates back in pub - seems like a great workflow but now this opening problem has cropped up

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk