You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Assets and Symbols with Studio Link

I *love* Studio link, but with this new workflow I'm trying to understand when I should open things in Publisher vs Designer.

I do a lot of "Ebooks" in PDF that use a lot of repeated (across ebooks) icons and composites of icons. Prior I would use symbols in Designer. Now (finally and wonderfully) I'm able to convert my .ai files to Publisher docs and need to add the SVGs that are in these to reusable assets. 

I'm trying to wrap my brain around when I should use Designer to manage Symbols vs Publisher to manage Assets. Of course it would be wonderful to use Symbols in Publisher, but not today!

1 hour ago, Mike S. said:

I'm trying to wrap my brain around when I should use Designer to manage Symbols vs Publisher to manage Assets. Of course it would be wonderful to use Symbols in Publisher, but not today!

Isn't the use case for Symbols, at all, one in which you need to have the various occurrences of the symbol within a document "linked" so that a change to one will occur to all the others?

That isn't possible with Assets.

So, I think, that would be a main determining factor in which should be used.

Another: I think that Assets are cross-document, but Symbols are for a single document.

Anyway, Designer can handle both. Another question may be "what context do you need to use them in?"

But personally, I will probably do everything in Publisher that is supported there by the various Publisher Personas. Anything that needs the other Personas from Designer (e.g., Export Persona, Pixel Persona) needs to be done directly in the Designer application. Photo will need more use of the standalone application than Designer, for me.

By the way: using the Designer Persona in Publisher you should be able to use Symbols in your Publisher documents, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Confirmed that I can have symbols in publisher in the publisher persona, whilst I also have symbols open for that document. 

Also confirmed that Assets in Designer do *not* show up in Publisher and visa versa. Sure would be nice if these were sync'd. In the mean time I'm thinking I'll just need to add them in both apps to make them available for the appropriate situations.

• 9 months later...
On 6/25/2019 at 9:25 PM, Mike S. said:

Confirmed that I can have symbols in publisher in the publisher persona, whilst I also have symbols open for that document. 

Also confirmed that Assets in Designer do *not* show up in Publisher and visa versa. Sure would be nice if these were sync'd. In the mean time I'm thinking I'll just need to add them in both apps to make them available for the appropriate situations.

is there a fix for this ? I too am frustrated by having vector assets on publisher but when I edit in design I don't have those same assets anymore

1 hour ago, ClarityDynamic said:

is there a fix for this ? I too am frustrated by having vector assets on publisher but when I edit in design I don't have those same assets anymore

You have to manually synchronize the Assets between the two applications. You can do that by exporting the Assets categories from one application and importing into the other. Or, at least on Windows, by copying the assets.propcol file from one application to the other (but that is a one-time, total replacement).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1