You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

MAJOR problem -All white screen after Windows 10 update

I added a new monitor to my setup yesterday and there was no problem. I now have a 4k monitor and an older almost HD one. Today I updated Windows 10 and now Photo opens as a blank white screen. I have discovered that I can access menus by clicking along the top of the screen but nothing brings the normal UI back. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Photo, reset Studio and everything  else I could think of to try to turn all the menus and tools back on but they remain invisible on a white screen. I can still open JPG or RAW files but can't see what I am doing with them. Please help this is a MAJOR bug.

I renamed that folder (by changing 1.0 to 'was1.0') and then Photo just stops at the splash screen. So I tried running the install file (version 1.7.1.404) to repair the installation and no better. So I uninstalled Photo again, changed the name of the 1.0 and then reinstalled Photo and it still just hangs at the splash screen. The Windows update I did was the May update version 1903, it is the half yearly major update. Is there a way to completely get Photo off my computer so I can start again? There must still be bits on my system somewhere because I noticed it did not ask for a serial number on any of these reinstallations. Your help is very much appreciated.

I run all three apps on Windows 10 Ver. 1903 Build 18362.175 and I don't have any problem. 

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

In desperation I rolled back to an earlier version of Windows 10. The system reported that it was 10.0.17763 Build 17763. Then I ran Photo and it asked me to accept the licence and then started up correctly! I shut down and started again and it worked correctly, opened files etc. 

So I then tried reinstalling the latest Win 10 update and that got me to 10.0.18362. I rebooted then tried Photo. It opened with all white screen and the splash page of 8 adverts from Serif. I can get the drop down menus by clicking at the top of the screen but otherwise it is all white. So the cause is definitely the Win10 update as I did not change anything else. I guess I will have to roll back to the previous version for now. Is there likely to be a fix from Serif for this in the near future? Thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, Scho said:

In desperation I rolled back to an earlier version of Windows 10. The system reported that it was 10.0.17763 Build 17763. Then I ran Photo and it asked me to accept the licence and then started up correctly! I shut down and started again and it worked correctly, opened files etc. 

So I then tried reinstalling the latest Win 10 update and that got me to 10.0.18362. I rebooted then tried Photo. It opened with all white screen and the splash page of 8 adverts from Serif. I can get the drop down menus by clicking at the top of the screen but otherwise it is all white. So the cause is definitely the Win10 update as I did not change anything else. I guess I will have to roll back to the previous version for now. Is there likely to be a fix from Serif for this in the near future? Thanks for your help.

Try using the --no-hw-ui flag. If that works it might be a bug with the graphics driver which gets installed as part of the update. I don't believe this is a bug caused by us (no-one else has reported the same problem, and we use that version here, without issue) but we can try to help you out :-).

Thank you, it worked! I searched and found an old post where you told someone how to use the flag so I reinstalled the Win10 update and tried Photo with that flag from the command line and it works. Just to confirm the bug was still there I tried starting Photo using the shortcut on the desktop and it opens with the all white screen.

Thanks so much for solving the problem.  

2 minutes ago, Scho said:

Thank you, it worked! I searched and found an old post where you told someone how to use the flag so I reinstalled the Win10 update and tried Photo with that flag from the command line and it works. Just to confirm the bug was still there I tried starting Photo using the shortcut on the desktop and it opens with the all white screen.

Now that you’ve confirmed that it works, you can edit the shortcut to include the --no-hw-ui switch. Right-click the shortcut on your Desktop, choose ‘Properties’ and then look for the ‘Target’ box in the Properties dialog.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Scho said:

Thanks so much for solving the problem.  

Great - I'm glad it's working. You've narrowed down the problem to either, a) your graphics drivers (try uninstalling and reinstalling the latest ones), b) some third party software you have installed (try finding out what it is, and removing it).

Using the --no-hw-ui flag should for test purposes only.

It looks like I have the latest driver and I am not running anything else so will just use this flag technique until a new driver comes out. Thanks to all who contributed to a quick resolution of this problem. 

11 minutes ago, Scho said:

It looks like I have the latest driver and I am not running anything else so will just use this flag technique until a new driver comes out. Thanks to all who contributed to a quick resolution of this problem. 

Often you need to uninstall and reinstall the graphics driver to fix these types of issues. I’d be interested to know whether that works for you. 

• 1 month later...

Just to close the loop on this issue I finally solved the problem. In addition to the Affinity Photo issues I had, my system was also crashing with some video issues. The blue screen of death said that the problem was with DDKMD.SYS. In looking for solutions I was advised to uninstall the "Duet Display" software I had and that has solved all my problems! Hope this can be of use to someone else.  Regards, Scho

• 1 year later...

On 6/27/2019 at 4:49 PM, Mark Ingram said:

Often you need to uninstall and reinstall the graphics driver to fix these types of issues. I’d be interested to know whether that works for you. 

Hi, i cant seem to figure out how to uninstall and reinstall the graphics driver... I have the exact same problem as ''Scho''