You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

OpenType features in placed PDFs

I've built a PDF from an .afpub file. The text in the PDF uses several OpenType features, these were applied to the text via the Typography panel in Publisher.

The OpenType features include many number sets – Figure style, Caps to small caps, Numerator, Subscript, Fractions etc.

All style correctly and the PDF built perfectly OK.

Next I place the PDF pages into a new .afpub doc in order to set up an 8 page imposition – to print duplex on A4.

All appears OK except for where the OpenType features are used. The Text in the placed PDF has stripped out the OT features.

The only way to get the OT features back is to Edit the placed PDF and apply all the features again. Obviously when I update the master PDF, I have to Edit the placed PDF again.

I can send files if required.

OpenType features are not stored in the PDF (by any application).
The gylphs/characters are there, but OpenType info on how they got there is not.
So it appears using a PDF as a template is not a workable solution in your situation.

My requirement is not to place a PDF in a document in order to be able to edit it. So it would be best to place a PDF and its pages as InDesign does – as locked PDF files so preserving their integrity. If I then decide to click on 'Edit document' an alter would appear notifying me that by editing the placed PDF document may result in the loss of any OpenType feature styling.

How can I place the PDF document as 'Linked document' and not as 'Embedded document'?

I see this as a bug as it presumes that I intend to open and edit the PDF without asking me how I want to import/place the PDF first

OK. So options are;

1. How can I place the PDF document as 'Linked document' and not as 'Embedded document' (this may work?)
2. Save original as rasterised page images (greatly inflate the file size)
3. Use InDesign

3 hours ago, JeremyTankard said:

OK. So options are;

1. How can I place the PDF document as 'Linked document' and not as 'Embedded document' (this may work?)
2. Save original as rasterised page images (greatly inflate the file size)
3. Use InDesign

Sadly, Affinity does have a major problem with importing PDFs, and anything with fonts just can't be trusted to display correctly.

You can Outline the fonts in the PDF before importing. Alternatively, I've just discovered that EPS files seem to work perfectly, which is crazy.

There are several threads about it (see this one); and the company has acknowledged the problem and that they hope to improve things. 

PS. Love your work!

53 minutes ago, benwiggy said:

Alternatively, I've just discovered that EPS files seem to work perfectly, which is crazy.

I'm pretty sure that eps files don't use fonts, only curves, so eps files should be expected to place correctly. But you'd probably lose transparency info etc.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

2 minutes ago, MickRose said:

I'm pretty sure that eps files don't use fonts, only curves, so eps files should be expected to place correctly. But you'd probably lose transparency info etc.

EPS is just PostScript, so yes, they can contain fonts. But admittedly, there would be some lossage of stuff like transparency. SVG also seems to import accurately. Or you can outline the fonts in the PDF. Any one of these options may be an acceptable workaround depending on circumstances.

132550512_Screenshot1.png.f2528a0d6500be741fb6760cacb7659f.png

• 1 year later...

Placed PDFs still appear to have issues.

1. Text that is styled with OpenType features that modifies the glyphs with no unicode is not recognised. i.e. if default lining figures are styled a Old Style ones. They are fine in the PDF but when this PDF is placed in Publisher those figures show up in the placed page as the default lining ones, albeit in the correct font still.

2. Placing a PDF shows the embedded fonts correctly (except for point 1 above).
However, printing the PDF isn't correct
(i) doesn't print the embedded fonts
(ii) turns the PDF to a rasterised image

In the attached screen grab the postage label PDF has been placed in Publisher = all OK. But printing it (shown alongside as 'Print/Open in Preview) shows that the embedded font is missing and the whole has been pixelated as an image.

Placed PDF not printing correctly.png

1 hour ago, JeremyTankard said:

Placed PDFs still appear to have issues.

No one from Serif is watching this old thread.

I think you should post a new topic, and possibly refer back to this one if the earlier posts are relevant to what you're describing now.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1