You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher and Surface Go

Bought Publisher for a desktop and, as a secondary machine, Surface Go 8gb.

Runs great on desktop but will not open on Go, instead rebooting the machine after a few seconds of seemingly starting the program.

Any ideas, please? 

It's no deal-breaker, but I would like to use it for light use while out+about, on long train journeys, etc.

• Staff

@Superb Chops

I suspect you bought Designer and Photo from the Microsoft Store and as Sam Neil says you are running yout Surface Go in Windows 10 S mode, Windows S mode is designed to only allow applications from the store to function, so our stand alone version from our store will not work by their design. I suggest that you request a refund for Affinity Publisher from the Affinity Store , and buy it (in the next week while it's still on sale) from  the Microsoft store instead. To get a refund  email AffinityReturns@serif.com with your order number before  3rd July [14 days from launch].

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hello Patrick and Sam, thank you for your help. It is appreciated.

Sadly, I took the Go out of S mode almost immediately and have bought Publisher, and Photo, from the Microsoft store. Designer was the first purchase, this time direct from Affinity.

I really don't want to wipe the machine, but I fear I'm running out of options.

Any other ideas received gratefully.

PS Anyone reading this and considering buying Publisher: I would still highly recommend it. Runs like a dream on the desktop and I am enjoying my initial efforts.

• Staff

Well then if Publisher and Photo are both from the Microsoft store and both are 1.7.1 then they are basically the same software and yet using one leads to a crash of your hardware. I'm very surprised and need to think about what is different that would cause this.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 4 weeks later...

A belated update and thank you to Patrick for his time.

In short, Publisher runs fine on Surface Go.

My hardware  bricked early-June with the blue screen of death.

One replacement later, between UK+Germany, and all sorted.

First impressions of Publisher on a small, under-powered PC are positive. Early days, but Publisher runs fine. Yep, not good enough for a primary machine, but handy when it's a second device.