You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Styles feature "Next Styles" does not apply to existing paragraphs

Just purchased with the hope of this indispensable feature only to find it not working as expected.

When setting "Next Style" on a new "Paragraph Style" and applying to a portion of already placed text, only the initial style is applied.

Although now I know documentation states you must press Return while typing text to apply the "Next Style", I believe that bit was added as an after thought when it's intended functionality couldn't quite be fixed.

Surely we all know content authors are not layout designers. They do not type their content directly into the layout application.

I fully consider this a bug and hope to see it soon fixed in the current initial release as an update and not a future $ paid $ upgrade.

Here's hoping I'm wrong about all this. If so please let us know.

Thank you.

AffinityPublisherBugNextStyle.png

• Staff

@DLopan

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

The "Next style" is not designed to do what you suggest. I has a specific meaning of "what happens when I am using this style and press the Enter Key (new Paragraph) In other words what Text style will automatically be applied after this paragraph style when used typing inside the program. It does not mean If I apply this style as an afterthought please apply the next style also. I hope this is clear. This behaviour is the same as Word for example has used in Text styles for a long time. Designed to ease typing from inside the application

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

If the styles use Next style, you can select the text, right click over the first style and choose Apply using Next Style, or however it is worded. I'm not in front of a computer right now.

The give a heck is the text needs to be in the order you wish for next style to be in. At each hard return the style being applied will be the next style as setup in the paragraph styles.

It works the same way it works in ID.

You select the multiple paragraphs to style.
   (image above only shows one paragraph selected)
Then you right-click on the first style name in the Text Styles panel.
   (that would be the "test title" style in above example)
Then in that list click on: Apply "test title" Then Next Styles

Works as expected for me.

21 hours ago, LibreTraining said:

That's it, thank you!

I was going crazy trying to find the exact conditions in which this feature worked.

It's been such a long time since I gave up on ID due to cost. I was hoping to Bob this worked, but I actually forgot how ID did it and couldn't find a tutorial that covered it.

Much appreciated.

On 6/26/2019 at 2:12 AM, LibreTraining said:

Perfect. Thank you

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

2nd Monitor: Phillips 226E9Q HD 1920 x 1080 (125%)