You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a print scaling option in Publisher?

Before making a final print I like to make a preliminary, smaller (ink saving) version, as is possible in most other programs including inDesign. For instance I can generally set print scaling at a specific percentage. I assume the option is available in Publisher but don't see it. There's something called Scaling in Spread Setup but it seems to be about objects and I don't see a scaling field there.

If the option exists in Publisher, where is it?

Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 1.11.12 PM.png

Yes it's here next to 'Fit Type' and then fill in your scale in percent.

Capture.JPG.37a810c1139371e5a86716a379c7d802.JPG

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

Hi Chris26

You're the go-to guy for my questions today (colour management as well.) Thanks again!

As before, your dialog box looks considerably different — but close enough that I do indeed see the scaling option. I had taken it to mean something to do specifically with type, not page as a whole.

In any event, setting at, say 50%, does nothing in my case. It prints at 100%. I wonder if it's a bug.

14 hours ago, Pubcrawler said:

In any event, setting at, say 50%, does nothing in my case. It prints at 100%. I wonder if it's a bug.

If you are using a Mac like I am, scaling will probably be on the "Range & Scale" section of the detailed print dialog, along with the "Fit Type" option that has to be set to Scale for this to work. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, Pubcrawler said:

Thanks for your reply R C-R. I indeed have my print dialog set to Scale, as well as setting a percentage. Prints at 100% regardless.

Do you have something like this in your printer R2880 options?  Leave the scale as 100% in affinity and just use the printer to achieve this.

Capture.JPG.fab0cb1b56653e76b120c9086d592eec.JPG

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

6 minutes ago, Pubcrawler said:

The last time I tried, setting scale to 50% gave me a printout at 100%. I'm almost out of paper at the moment, so am hesitant to try again.

It is perhaps not 100% definitive, but instead of printing the page, below the line where the Print & cancel buttons are, on the left pop open the PDF button menu & try "Open in Preview" or "Save as PDF." This may tell you how the page would print without actually printing it.

I have also noticed that the preview image on the left doesn't always update to show what the printout of the scaled image will look like on the printed page. When that happens, I have to change the scale % (sometimes more than once) to different values to force the preview to update. I don't know if that also works for the actual printout, though.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I've just tried both Open in Preview and Save as PDF, scaling to 50%. The result is 100%, as indicated in Preview's Print dialog. I notice that Range & Scale can't remember 50%. It reverts to 100% the next time I open the dialog. A bug? Or a feature?

• Staff

Hi Pubcrawler :)

I've replicated your workflow on my Mac here and I'm not seeing the same results, I created an A4 document, then went to the Print dialogue and set my settings as follows -

Screenshot 2019-06-27 at 16.28.37 (1).png

The page then printed correctly, at 50% scale.

Have you tried this with a different document, or printer (if possible)?

16 hours ago, Pubcrawler said:

I notice that Range & Scale can't remember 50%. It reverts to 100% the next time I open the dialog.

This is expected behaviour unfortunately, there's no way to force this to be default currently.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hi Dan C, and thanks for your suggestion. I switched to my laser printer (ah, the savings on ink and paper!). Set to 50% as you can see below. Also tried a totally different document with unrelated layout. Still printed at 100%.

I'm using the latest version of Mojave on a 2017 iMac, so nothing ancient.

I think, but am not certain, that I was able to make scaled prints during Publisher's beta phase.

511278698_ScreenShot2019-06-27at11_18_28AM.png.2185e720aa29106d811ce2d3e73d5a1f.png

What are you minimising?  Images text or both?  I just set my printer software to 50% and it printed perfectly at 50%.  I then set affinity Pub to 50% and the printer back to 100%.  It printed at 50% but MOVED the image to near the centre of the page, the print software when set did not move the image.  I then set both the printer and affinity to 50%, expecting mayhem, and that is what I got, a tug of war between the printer that wanted to keep the image in place and the affinity muscle man pulling the image away, they seem to compromise and met half way down the page instead.  :D  Anyway, point is everything minimised to 50%.  So something is amiss somewhere and I bet we kick ourselves with missing it?

Hi Chris,

As per the dialog box above, I'm trying to scale the entire document. I don't follow you regarding scaling separately in Pub and Printer. The only scaling option I see is in the Range and Scale tab of the Print dialog. I'm not that familiar with the UI of Pub itself yet. But I'm intrigued.

1 hour ago, Pubcrawler said:

Hi Chris,

As per the dialog box above, I'm trying to scale the entire document. I don't follow you regarding scaling separately in Pub and Printer. The only scaling option I see is in the Range and Scale tab of the Print dialog. I'm not that familiar with the UI of Pub itself yet. But I'm intrigued.

Maybe I am wrong then, are you printing from AfPub?  

Yes, this is all about printing from Publisher.

Ok then, so I assume you have tried scaling in Publisher as well then?

Hi Chris, yes you mentioned scaling in Publisher earlier. Where exactly? As I say, I haven't a strong grasp of its UI, and document scaling within Publisher remains a mystery to me.

Problem here as I understand now is that you have Pub on a mac and I am on windows microburger - my drop down menu as above is different.  But you should find it when you click PRINT from a drop down menu in FILE, that would never change wherever or whatever the software, even in Chinese:)

I think you are talking about the Print dialog box. There is only one area of Print that covers scaling on the Mac, as far as I can see, and that is in Range and Scale.

No, you should have a scaling option in AfPUB as well, I have the option to scale in both AfPUB print dialogue and the Printer itself, unless we are talking at cross purposes here, that is possible trying to diagnose a problem through writing letters to one anotherO.o

I think I've found what you're referring to. In the printer section of the Print dialog box, under Page Layout Settings there is an area labeled Expansion — which turns out to mean the opposite, i.e. scaling down. It's at Max and is greyed out, so for some reason it isn't allowing scaling by the printer. By the way Range and Scale is also in the Print dialog (hence my confusion), but within the app section.

You've got me curious. Scaling within InDesign and Photoshop works even though Epson's Expansion setting is greyed out when I use either of those apps. But Lightroom has always refused to scale below 13x19. I've always exported to Photoshop from Lightroom when wanting smaller prints.

Meanwhile the more I think about it, I'm pretty sure beta versions of Publisher did let me scale down. I always scale to save ink before doing final output, and used the betas without issue.

• Staff

Thanks for trying that, and for the further information provided.

Could you confirm, is your document 1 page overall, or are their multiple pages?

In the Range and Scale options, with Whole Document selected, type 1 into the Pages box, then 50% into scale and try printing again. Does this help?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

It's a one-page doc. I've just added a 1 in the Pages box, set scale to 50%. The output is still 100%.

A further thought re Epson's greyed out Expansion setting as a possible suspect: The output also sticks at 100% on my laser printer, which has no equivalent to Expansion. I would guess it's unlikely that two totally different printers from different manufacturers would be to blame.

Anyway, thanks for your perseverance.

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that, as I'm still unable to replicate this here could you please provide a screen recording showing your document creation & printing workflow. Many thanks for your continued patience here!