You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Strange behavior!

I am trying to place a PNG-graphic into a Publisher document but when I click on the folder only a folder icon is shown. I have not encountered this problem when trying to place something from other folders on my Mac. Have somebody else here experienced this and know why this is so? Take a look at the screen shots below:

This is how the folder appears in Publisher:

748619173_Skjermbilde2019-06-25kl_20_40_58.thumb.png.d0b492144c1fadd3b375dbd1492e59a5.png

And this is how the folder appears in the Finder:

2091548082_Skjermbilde2019-06-25kl_20_41_54.thumb.png.453777cafde62987c7e50505fec02d72.png

Did you name the folder "Signaturur .png" That is the problem.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

It is not the name of the folder, that's for sure. I can name it anything I want and it still only shows the folder icon. I tried to place the same file in InDesign CC 2018 and it opened the folder as it should. See enclosed screenshot.

No, this must be a specific bug or quirk in Publisher.

Here is the Place dialog box in InDesign:

460546437_Skjermbilde2019-06-25kl_22_06_24.png.bc98b6b47109efdaf2a8a1ff161babc4.png

Well, I solved the problem and it looks like you were right - sort of...

It turned out that Publisher indeed does not like it when you put a file ending in the folder name (like .png). But it was not enough just to rename the existing folder. I had to create two entirely new folders and give them names without a .png ending. That solved the problem! Still this is a quirk in Publisher compared to InDesign which does not seem to care what the folders are called.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

And here's the proof:

38224441_Skjermbilde2019-06-25kl_22_26_25.png.d16799db7db4d00542f8e867ccaf20fc.png

2 hours ago, Steaming T said:

It turned out that Publisher indeed does not like it when you put a file ending in the folder name (like .png)

Not just Publisher. I am surprised you could get the folder opened.

I use a naming convention along the lines of Folder of PNGs and Folder of TXTs I never use anything non Alphanumeric aside from underscores or hyphens _ - and even then I get twitchy.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.