You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher, Global layer

Hi I make commercial brochures.
Its very usual to have different versions of the same brochures. All the informations stay the same and only a few things change languages, prices
Indesign process :
-I make my pages using a Layer 0 with things that are displayed on every versions of my document.

-I add language 1 on a layer 1, language 2 on layer 2 ect.... and If course I can mix tings : like 3 different languages, 3 different prices and, 2 collections of photos.

So if I need a specific version of my document,
I check layer 0 and layer 1 = get version 1  
I check layer 0 and layer 2 = get version 2

----
The way layers work in publisher is like photo or designer. It works BUT if I want to  "activate" a version I have to turn ON or OFF layers on EVERY pages.... thats a lot of work plus its prone to errors (I may miss something). I understand that layers in publisher and in indesign are not the same thing at all. indesign is global and publisher much more like a affinity photo layer on a page basis.
---
So I would like to request a "global" layer (or what ever way to do it) that can affect every pages of the document.
---
Feel free to ask questions if you need to.

8 minutes ago, Anstellos said:

Hi I make commercial brochures.
Its very usual to have different versions of the same brochures. All the informations stay the same and only a few things change languages, prices
in indesign here is what I do :
-I make my pages using a Layer 0 with things that are displayed on every versions of my document.

-I add language 1 on a layer 1, language 2 on layer 2 ect.... and If course I can mix tings : like 3 different languages, 3 different prices and, 2 collections of photos.

So if I need a specific version of my document,
I check layer 0 and layer 1 = get version 1  
I check layer 0 and layer 2 = get version 2

----
The way layers work in publisher is like photo or designer. It works BUT if I want to  "activate" a version I have to turn ON or OFF layers on EVERY pages.... thats a lot of work plus its prone to errors (I may miss something).
---

Hello @Anstellos,

you are not alone with this request. There are several discussions going on where you might want to join, e.g. this one:

There is also a statement by one of the officials from Serif that they are working on this feature:

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Thank you for your answers. As I need this feature for production and "prices" informations are critical I will wait for a proper release. I will follow the thread. At the same time I sent example on affinity facebook page so hopefully they can understand it better.

Going to read affinity infos right away !

• 1 year later...
On 6/26/2019 at 12:58 PM, Lagarto said:

This is a admittedly a bit awkward but works reasonably well 

Sorry but I don't agree. If I have correctly understood, it works only when you have exactly the same text layout on all the pages.

Am I wrong?

I see also that 1.9 seems not to offer this feature...

More than 30 Macs, from 1984 Mac 512K Plus to 2020 iMac 27" i9