Sign in to follow this  
Anstellos

Publisher, Global layer

Hi I make commercial brochures.
Its very usual to have different versions of the same brochures. All the informations stay the same and only a few things change languages, prices
Indesign process :
-I make my pages using a Layer 0 with things that are displayed on every versions of my document.

-I add language 1 on a layer 1, language 2 on layer 2 ect.... and If course I can mix tings : like 3 different languages, 3 different prices and, 2 collections of photos.

So if I need a specific version of my document,
I check layer 0 and layer 1 = get version 1  
I check layer 0 and layer 2 = get version 2

----
The way layers work in publisher is like photo or designer. It works BUT if I want to  "activate" a version I have to turn ON or OFF layers on EVERY pages.... thats a lot of work plus its prone to errors (I may miss something). I understand that layers in publisher and in indesign are not the same thing at all. indesign is global and publisher much more like a affinity photo layer on a page basis.
---
So I would like to request a "global" layer (or what ever way to do it) that can affect every pages of the document.
---
Feel free to ask questions if you need to.

8 minutes ago, Anstellos said:

Hi I make commercial brochures.
Its very usual to have different versions of the same brochures. All the informations stay the same and only a few things change languages, prices
in indesign here is what I do :
-I make my pages using a Layer 0 with things that are displayed on every versions of my document.

-I add language 1 on a layer 1, language 2 on layer 2 ect.... and If course I can mix tings : like 3 different languages, 3 different prices and, 2 collections of photos.

So if I need a specific version of my document,
I check layer 0 and layer 1 = get version 1  
I check layer 0 and layer 2 = get version 2

----
The way layers work in publisher is like photo or designer. It works BUT if I want to  "activate" a version I have to turn ON or OFF layers on EVERY pages.... thats a lot of work plus its prone to errors (I may miss something).
---

Hello @Anstellos,

you are not alone with this request. There are several discussions going on where you might want to join, e.g. this one:

There is also a statement by one of the officials from Serif that they are working on this feature:

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.532)   |   Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.532)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.531)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.7   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

You can work around the problem to some extent by creating layers on the master page for each required language, then placing a column text frame in each layer. Then you can hide/show the desired layer on the master page and start flowing text in frames on actual pages that use the master. The layers are copied on each new page that uses the master page, and text frames get auto-generated when you flow the text. You can place additional content within a single language layer (graphics, photos, etc.) by detach editing the master on individual pages so that layers become accessible from within a page.

This is a admittedly a bit awkward but works reasonably well at least with simple publications.

Thank you for your answers. As I need this feature for production and "prices" informations are critical I will wait for a proper release. I will follow the thread. At the same time I sent example on affinity facebook page so hopefully they can understand it better.

Going to read affinity infos right away !