You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've broken affinity designer ;(

I'm working on an image of a crane. As you might imagine quite a few lines. I wanted to move the jib illustration components onto a new layer so that I could isolate it. I shift selected the lines/curves that I wanted and tried to move them. Now I can't deselect, move, zoom in, zoom out etc. without the gib disappearing. I started a new section with the pen tool and the jib disappeared. When I go to edit the first option is undo delete - but I'm not deleting. I have restarted AD then restarted the Mac, quit everything else. I can't print it, copy or paste - I'm stuffed unless someone can help.

I can see the entire image at 15% but anything closer and a white box covers the top part of the image in the left side.

Any thoughts?

Can you upload the document to the forum?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

31 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Can you upload the document to the forum?

Unfortunately not, it's a sensitive job. 

I know this makes diagnosis difficult, I just wondered if there was a layers limit.

It seems to be a memory problem. Shame I can't allocate more memory to AD like we did in the early days of the Mac.

No layers limit I am aware of but if you have a lot of layers and you have Save History with document set, try switching that off as I've seen some weird things happen with that switched on in large documents.

If you are happy just to share the document with the Serif staff you can request a dropbox link in this forum and they alone will get the document

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

29 minutes ago, carl123 said:

No layers limit I am aware of but if you have a lot of layers and you have Save History with document set, try switching that off as I've seen some weird things happen with that switched on in large documents.

If you are happy just to share the document with the Serif staff you can request a dropbox link in this forum and they alone will get the document

Hi Carl

Thanks for the interest. I Have made a workaround. Because I was having problems and just before AD started really acting up, I copied and pasted the jib section into a new document to be safe and saved it. I'm so glad I did. I have laboriously been through a duplicate 'saved as file' and deleted the curve layers one by one and then saved the document. I grouped, copied and pasted the jib back into the document, and it seems happier again. I'll let you know how we go on. Fingers crossed.

I spoke too soon. I can't select any of the document into which I pasted the jib group. Gees!

I can swap between outline and vector views but that's about it.

Edit: I can selct an object by going to the layer and selecting that but not directly on the artboard.

I've broken Affinity Designer ; (

• Staff

Hi Chezqui :)

I'm going to need a copy of the document to investigate this, but rest assured it will not be shared and will be deleted once we no longer require it. 

Could you please upload this to the following link?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/FmjU5QOxDUJ4Qp5PJ5cQ

On 6/25/2019 at 6:40 PM, Chezqui said:

Edit: I can selct an object by going to the layer and selecting that but not directly on the artboard.

Does this happen in every document, or only one specific one?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for that! Your curves are nested within another curve, so the objects exist, simply the cannot be seen on the document.

If you scroll through your curves in Layer 1, you can see one curve has an Arrow next to the layer, indicating that there are nested objects. Select all of these objects, then click and drag them out of this curve until you see a full blue bar across the layers panel - not a bar striking through a layer, or only filling 3/4 of the layers panel - else the curves will be clipped/masked again.

I've included a screen recording of this below, as I didn't want to show your file this shows the layers panel only, I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Dan C

SORTED!

Many thanks for this. It reassures me and being able to chat with you guys is superb.

Having used and taught Illustrator for over 30 years and then having it taken away from me by those nasty adobe people, AD is just great and I want to carry on using it.

:D