You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Crashes when opening file

Opens OK here but as most of your images are linked I only get a low resolution version of them (expected)

Since I cant access your linked files It's possible one of them is causing the crash

I also notice you have most of your linked files in a folder(?) called D:\Dropbox\

Is that a local drive on your PC or a remote/cloud/etc drive?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 minute ago, VanHeber said:

I have the same issue into publisher! My file crashes when I open the file, closing the program!

You might want to start a new thread and upload your document there.  As it may get confusing dealing with 2 problems in the same thread

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I would...

Move all images in the D:\dropbox\ folder to somewhere else

Then try to open Publisher.

If it opens Ok for you...

Start moving the files back to D:\dropbox a few at a time

Restarting Publisher each time you move some files

When/if it crashes you should be able to determine which file is causing the problem

If you still cant get it to work ZIP up all files in D:\dropbox\ and upload the zipped file here

Great

Any chance you can upload the bad file to this thread. 

If the DEVs can identify why it causes the document to crash they may be able to build in protection against it in a future release

Sure, here it is, but now that it is embedded, everything is working fine. I think the problem was that this file was shown as missing in the resources list. When i reloaded it and made it embedded, all was OK. Still, a missing linked file in resources should not cause the program to crash, so there may still be a problem to sort.

Thanks again for your help.

Group Pic Sweden.jpg

• Staff

There will be something to sort here, we have a few reports of users getting a similar experience to you, so we are currently looking into reproducing this issue from scratch so the devs can look at fixing it.

Can you zip up that image you attached and re-attach it? Also, after inserting this image did you modify it and update it in any way?

Also, if possible, can you go to %appdata%\Affinity\Publisher\1.0\CrashReports and attach the latest reports there? It will help us get to the bottom of this.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

The issue was causing a complete crash of Publisher within seconds of loading the file. There was no missing resources error message.  Prompted by you I transferred all other files to another folder and the file then loaded with low res images. As soon as I moved the first image back (the group picture above) the program crashed again. I then moved this file back. When I looked at the resources list it said that this file was missing. I then copied this file back from the original source and as a precaution made all linked files embedded then everything worked perfectly. I am away from home at present with just a phone and no pc. I will have another play when I get home.

I have that problem, too. AP opens a file and crashes immediately. Once I managed to fix the problem temporarily by moving all photos to a different folder and then copying them back bit by bit. So I found the photo that crashed the AP. Only this photo was not damaged and was correctly in the resource manager.
Last night the AP crashed again just after I finished designing a photo book. It's really treacherous and annoying that the AP saves the document and then refuses to open it.
Maybe there's a problem with Affinity Photo editing photos directly from the Publisher and then saving them reduced? I use this ingenious feature regularly.
I would very much appreciate it if an update could be released soon to fix this bug.
Thanks a lot!

14 minutes ago, Jon P said:

I think I've just found the recipe to get a file in this state and it's been logged for the developers to look into. 

Thanks for the reports

Would revealing the "recipe" allow people to avoid doing it in the meantime?

Or is it something they could not avoid anyway?

• Staff

No it can be avoided. As far as my testing shows so far, if you insert an image into the app and then edit that image externally and alter the dimensions of it and then save the image file, then the publisher file, it will crash when re-opening the file (or as soon as it has to render the image).

Breaking the link prevents this happening so I think this is the (or one of the) recipes to get files into this crashing on open state.

1 hour ago, Jon P said:

Breaking the link prevents this happening so I think this is the (or one of the) recipes to get files into this crashing on open state.

Well, what do I do now with 40 pages and about 100 photos, which I have almost all adapted in Affinity by link from Affinity Photo? Everything from the beginning? I thought the point of integrating Designer and Photo into Publisher was that you can still edit photos in the layout. For example, adjust the size. If I shall do the external editing in Photoshop CC again, why do I need an Affinity Photo link in the Publisher? For my project (and all that will follow) I need un update very soon.

11 minutes ago, cditfurth said:

Well, what do I do now with 40 pages and about 100 photos, which I have almost all adapted in Affinity by link from Affinity Photo? Everything from the beginning? I thought the point of integrating Designer and Photo into Publisher was that you can still edit photos in the layout. For example, adjust the size. If I shall do the external editing in Photoshop CC again, why do I need an Affinity Photo link in the Publisher? For my project (and all that will follow) I need un update very soon.

In addition: I have just cut the links of the photos in the Publisher. Now, of course, it starts again. If I want to insert photos, their proportions are completely distorted. I can correct that, but I can't exactly restore the state from before. I had made a lot of effort to adjust the photos to the correct proportions. This work, which took days, is now also lost. If there is no update to correct this error, I can throw my work away and start all over again. If you offer the link between Publisher, Designer, and Photo this should work correctly. Unfortunately the public beta tester weren't able to check this since this important feature came only with the version after the beta testing. Never trust a new software ...

Well, I thought I had solved the problem by embedding all the images, but I spoke too soon. I edit a quarterly magazine in collaboration with a colleague in Australia. He uses a Mac and I use a PC. I send a draft to him via a dropbox link, he makes a few changes then sends  the .afpub file back to me. When I got the file back, it once again crashed publisher when opening. I checked with my colleague, and all graphics files are embedded and not linked. The file opens OK on his Mac, but not on my PC.

So it looks like there is till some work to do. Here is the offending file, see if you can figure out what is going on.

Tin-opener_112_July_1919FinalProof.afpub

32 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Tried to open your file on Windows 10 professional 1809 and Publisher crashed without a word or sign. 

Same here on Win 10 Home 1903.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 6/27/2019 at 4:59 PM, cditfurth said:

In addition: I have just cut the links of the photos in the Publisher. Now, of course, it starts again. If I want to insert photos, their proportions are completely distorted. I can correct that, but I can't exactly restore the state from before. I had made a lot of effort to adjust the photos to the correct proportions. This work, which took days, is now also lost. If there is no update to correct this error, I can throw my work away and start all over again. If you offer the link between Publisher, Designer, and Photo this should work correctly. Unfortunately the public beta tester weren't able to check this since this important feature came only with the version after the beta testing. Never trust a new software ...

I have got the same issue. I created a document with 123 large TIF files, all linked, not embedded. Adding images was getting more and more slow. Crashes were getting more and more frequent. RAM usage was very high. At one point I could not open the file any more without crash. I moved the images to a different folder and re-assigned them one by one. Again, things were getting slower and slower until the file was unusable again.

Now I wanted to replace the TIFs with JPGs, but the App crashes still AND the images are not replaced in the correct proportions like cditfuth said. This is a no-go. It does not mater unfortunately since Publisher is not usable in its current state. This has a hughe (negative) impact on my project.

Attached please find all crash reports.

reports.zip

14 hours ago, ErrkaPetti said:

I can confirm: Crashing both my Win-PC and my iMac27-5K...

It must have happening something when your friend saved the file on his Mac...

I'm the colleague in Australia. When I opened the original afpub file (created on a Windows PC and opened on my Macbook) I made fifty or so changes to the text (no image changes), saved the file and exported it as a pdf and emailed a copy of the pdf file to my colleague in the UK. I then moved the afpub file to Dropbox and sent him a link. Upon receipt, my colleague found the pdf file to be perfect but the afpub file crashed the Publisher software when he tried to open it, with the message shown below. When informed by my colleague that the file crashed the Infinity software, I attempted to open the most recently saved copy on my Macbook and received the same error message. Yet when I looked at the 'last modified' time stamp on both the afpub file and the pdf file, I found that they were identical down to the second. Is there any way that exporting an afpub file could cause a corruption to the originating file?

ErrorMessage.jpg

• Staff

@scuddriver That file is crashing for me on both Mac and Windows, and it looks different to the earlier crash, but I'm not getting a crash report generated on Windows so it's hard to say exactly. I've passed it over to the developers.

@Kuno If you'd like to upload your file here I'll take a look and see if it was effected by the original issue discovered in this thread