You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo : Duplicate a selection from a part to another part into my mask

Hi guys,

I would like to do some simple operations into my masking Affinity Photo, but I can't manage to do it.

My project is a simple black filled pixel layer with a mask on it.I would like to duplicate an area selected of this mask with the marquee tool to another part of this same mask.
But I can't find a way to do it, the "Drag + Command" operation doesn't seem to work (the selection is moving but isn't duplicated).
It is just me or am I doing it wrong ?

Thank you !

AFF-PHOTO-SELEC1.jpg

AFF-PHOTO-SELEC2.jpg

AFF-PHOTO-SELEC3.jpg

• Staff

Hi Geetea,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately you can't duplicate a mask area without copying the whole mask layer, however I have found a workaround for your design.

First hold down Option and click the mask layer, so you're editing this only. Now hold down Command and click the mask layer again, this will create a selection based on the mask. With this selection active change to the Rectangle Marquee tool and you can now move this selection to another area of the mask. Switch to the Fill Tool and make sure your fill is set to White and then click within the selection. I've included a screen recording of this below!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Dan C,

Thanks for your answer ! 
Too bad we can't do that the old way, seems easier I think. But your method works indeed !

But I got another situation, more complicated I guess that I know I am going to have to deal with.
In the case the mask is a kind of a pretty dense pattern and you want to duplicate a precise area of this one... (I put 2 frame for the reference below) How can I do ?

Thanks you for your time !

AFF-PHOTO-SELEC4.jpg

AFF-PHOTO-SELEC5.jpg

• Staff

No problem at all!

You'll need to create a selection from the mask, same as before, then select your Selection Tool of choice and change the selection mode on the context toolbar from Add to Subtract. Now remove all unwanted areas of the selection, and you can now move and fill the selection as before. :) 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!