You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When using affinity publisher, I have tried to use the layer fx tool to add drop shadow to a layer of text. It doesn't seem to work at all as expected. I have got round this by using the similar tool in affinity designer to add the drop shadow, and copy and paste the text into publisher, which worked fine. However, surely the tool should work in the same way in publisher? Drop shadow text is really essential to me.  NB in Quark Xpress, drop shadow is a simple press of a button.

Edited by Simon Dobbs

Works here on Mac. Do you have the text layer showing up with the little fx on the far right in the Layers Studio?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Sounds like you may be using the first one, Gaussian Blur, select the Outer Shadow and make sure to use an Offset close to the Radius size

625387151_ScreenShot2019-06-25at8_06_07AM.thumb.png.ff3c4de0e5f25873546bc431ebbafb54.png

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

• Staff

Hi Simon Dobbs,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
As Old Bruce pointed out you have to also click the Outer Shadow label on the left to display the respective controls on the right side. Ticking the Outer Shadow box only is not enough since the gaussian blur controls remain on the right/selected.

If I select outer shadow, the gaussian blur button automatically selects itself, and all I get is a gaussian blur. I expect to see what you do and get similar in affinity designer, but not in publisher. I have version 1.7.1 from the apple store. Do you have the same version?

NB many thanks for your help1776138295_Screenshot2019-06-25at16_14_22.png.49a046c758e487838afa445b2b71a8a6.png

Took me a hell of a lot longer to figure it out. One hour for you and a couple of weeks of frustration for me before the penny dropped.