You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash on Save as... with same file name

If I do a Save as... with same .afpub name then the app crashes in most situations.
I am able to repeat this with only a new document opened, too.

(p.s.: didn't act like that in previous betas)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

10 hours ago, Jon P said:

I can't reproduce this on 10.12 at the moment, it seems to overwrite the last save fine.

It is working perfectly here.  I have done a Save As on a document with samples of over 360 font faces several times today.   Not a single problem.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Yes. (since final retail release only)

Whereas I can do a Save As... + replace without crash if the open file is NOT the same which I do replace, means it works only, if I replace a copy with same name but in different file path (for instance a folder inside the folder).

• Staff

So to clarify the steps for you are as simple as:

File > New

File > Save As

File > Save As > Overwrite and then crash?

Can you attach the crash report? Might be a clue there

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

@Jon P, I just noticed (haven't tried before) the same crash occurrence in AfDesigner, also with a new, empty document:

File: New > Save > Save As... > Replace > Crash
I can open this new .afdesign in AfDesigner and – still without any content in the file – repeat the crash with Save As > Replace.

Affinity Designer_2019-06-27-195117_mbp1.crash
Ohne Titel.afdesign

• Staff

Interesting, there is an issue in AFD which likely affects all apps to do with issues saving/exporting in Sierra/High Sierra that we have a few reports of, I think this is what you are seeing.

Do you also get this behaviour when exporting?

Any chance of a quick video demonstrating it, so I can attach it to the above issue?

I purchased Designer in the week before Publisher came out. I mention this because you say the Publishers crash is possibly related to Designer & and I had said before I never had a Save-As-Replace crash in any Publisher beta.

I can export PDFs in Publisher without crashes, in Designer I have tried only twice and that worked fine, too.

In the video you don't see panels because they usually fill this screen and I had to toggle them off to see the new document window.
– By the way, with 2 monitors and Separated Mode: It would be useful if new or just opened document windows would appear on the monitor which shows the tool bar. That could avoid the need to toggle the UI if using the 2nd screen for documents.

• Staff

The correct answer was Mac App Store version, as the issue I think you are hitting (although I can't reproduce it yet) only effects the MAS builds due to how it deals with sandboxing.

I've got the developers to look at the crash report and they think it's the same issue as well, and we can reproduce that so hopefully if we fix that it should fix yours.

Either way, am going to continue seeing if I can reproduce this. I'll let you know if I need any more info or have any updates

• Staff

Ok, I've reproduced this and it's very similar to the bug we know about, but slightly different. I'll log what I can reproduce.

Can you confirm for me that you don't get the issue if you either (or both):

• Don't run the app in separated mode
  • Change MacOS to not show file extensions

• Change MacOS to not show file extensions 

No. If I switch in MacOS to hide file extensions – but keep separated mode – then on SaveAs > Replace the crash still occurs in AfPub (haven't tried AfDes)

• Don't run the app in separated mode

Yes. If I switch to not separated mode – but have MacOS set to show file extensions – then it works with no crash, in both apps.

Notes:
– since v408 + Designer I use separated mode. During beta I was using not separated mode with no crash on save-as-replace. And AfDesigner was not installed.

– studio link works but one time it moved the AfPub tool bar outside the screen area when I switched back from des to pub persona: placed below the lower edge of the lower monitor. Toggling "Show Toolbar" did not make it appear. It jumped back into visible area by "Customize Toolbar" only.

– at any time since using v408 + AfDesigner the MacOS login window started to show mixed languages consequently (head + buttons: English / body: German). I fixed it via Terminal ("sudo languagesetup" > "3" back to German as default language)

In case in separated mode the window arrangement is influencing, here my two monitor settings:

565332249_monitorsystemmenubararrangement.jpg.9e4324f94cef76b472dbab75c60835d1.jpg

1. MacBook Pro screen (with system menu bar):

48001084_separatedmodemonitor1withsystemmenubar.thumb.jpg.dfd0b7266494c2bf7e8cf0ed3f539c24.jpg

2. External monitor (with AfPub main window and tool bar below):

680764382_separatedmodemonitor2withafpubtoolbar.thumb.jpg.6acccd6836ef27e7aa386d79457e6430.jpg

EDIT: I would prefer to use not separated mode IF i would be able to use the same panel arrangement > tool bar below document main window + not overlapping with panels left or right.