You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I am an affinity user and I use all three products when I cant access my Adobe subscription. Sometimes I get this felling that Affinity products are not in a finished state and this is why I cant rely on it. For example I am quite amazed that Affinity Designer doesn't have automatic trace capabilities. When I bought these product I did not even bother to check if this function is available. Even Inskape have it. This reminds me of Publisher that was launched without data merge, come on guys. Make a strong core product and then make it fancy and pretty.

If there really is no Image Trace feature in Designer, that sucks. One possible workaround is to make a document in Inkscape with the same dimensions, image trace the file there, export the trace as a plain SVG, and then start working on it in AD.

Hope this helps

Or you can trace it on Internet...

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

I use Inkscape when I need to trace something, and just import the results to designer. Given the amazing value of Affinity software, I have no qualms with this solution. Admittedly, I don't rely heavily on image tracing but I have trouble imagining it should be a deal breaker.
Can't speak to 'data merge' re: Publisher. Is that a crucial function for layout software?

On 6/27/2019 at 4:23 PM, Adam_D said:

Is that a crucial function for layout software?

Tracing bitmaps to vector (automatically or otherwise) really belongs in Designer, while the mail/data merge feature should be in Publisher.

19 minutes ago, Adam_D said:

data merge really belongs in Designer?

I would think data merge is more relevant to page layout software such Publisher; e.g. for creating address labels, where the size of the page is the label size and the database contains the names and addresses to be printed on each label.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

I would think data merge is more relevant to page layout software such Publisher; e.g. for creating address labels, where the size of the page is the label size and the database contains the names and addresses to be printed on each label.

yes, that makes sense. Maybe fde was just not recognizing that I circled back from the main subject of the thread (image trace) to the secondary subject of the OP (data merge) when he said "this really belongs in Designer"

22 hours ago, Adam_D said:

yes, that makes sense. Maybe fde was just not recognizing that I circled back from the main subject of the thread (image trace) to the secondary subject of the OP (data merge) when he said "this really belongs in Designer"

Yep, that's what happened... sorry for the confusion.  I misread and associated the comment with the wrong feature.  I will edit my post.