You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Placing Multiple Images

In 1.6, it used to be possible to choose "File>Place", select multiple images, and Designer would place them all in the same position automatically, one over the other. This was opposed to using the Place Image Tool, which would have you place each image on it's own one after the other (as far as I remember, hadn't used this tool much).

Is this feature of the Place menu entry no supported anymore? :(

In 1.7, both placing methods seem identical and both require me to place each image separately. I used to love the old behavior because it allowed me to quickly import animation frames and export them through Affinity to all sizes I need them (x1, x2 and x3). Was this an intentional change or a bug?

If anyone is interested, I now just realized a workaround to this: select all images in a Finder window and drag to the document. This acts exactly the same way as the old "place" command used to, placing all images one on top of the other at the exact same location.

The first time I tried it, I ended up opening all images as a separate document, resulting in 42 tabs :o But now it seems to work fine for me.

Again, if anyone is interested...

• Staff

Hi leshido,
These changes come from Publisher 's integration which does work the same way. As you discovered you can still place them all at once if you drag them from Finder - note however that you must have a document opened/created to insert the images as layers otherwise they will be opened as independent documents/tabs which was probably what happened the first time you tried it.

There also appears to be a difference in WHERE in your document you drop the images. I found that if you drop them over the artboard area then you'll just OPEN the files instead of placing them. I haven't tried this yet in the released version, but the GM did it this way.