You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Snap to Grid - honor Points

Hey,

When designing for devices with high DPI, I use Points as document units, which is also the default option for these kind of presets.

To keep items nice and crisp when exporting at x1, x2 and x3 resolution, the objects need to align with the Point grid (which is equal to 3 pixels in my case). However, choosing "Snap to Grid" in snapping options only forces them to align with the Pixel Grid, making objects sit at awkward positions such as X.667pt or X.334pt. I then need to manually make sure they are moved to a whole point value.

Would be great if "Snap to Grid" would honor the document resolution in such way that object are easily aligned with the Point Grid.

• Staff

Err.  Snap to grid snaps to the grid.  If you create a grid with lines at 1/3 pixel, then you'll be able to snap to those positions.  Make a grid with major lines of 1px, then have 3 subdivisions.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

On 6/28/2019 at 8:08 AM, Ben said:

Make a grid with major lines of 1px, then have 3 subdivisions.

Wouldn't that cause them to snap to 1/3rd of a pixel units instead of the 3-pixel units he seems to be requesting?

I would think the grid should be set up for every 3 pixels?

• Staff

Er, yes - that way around. ;)

When people deal with 2x and 3x, don't they start with alignment for 1x...?

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

How does this grid snapping actually work?

I've been trying to get it so that I can only create "divisible by 2 shape dimensions", which will always align to even pixels (so a 50x28 rectangle at (56, 84) is allowed, while a 51x28 rectangle at (56, 84) is not, nor is a 50x28 rectangle at (57, 84)).

It seems impossible? Is there a way of doing this?

• 1 month later...

I guess what I was actually talking about is "Force Pixel Alignment", where "pixels" don't make much sense to me in a Point based document IMO, and would rather be aligning to the Point Grid. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

(In any case, @Ben's suggestion for using the grid with 1 pt divisions is a nice workaround, though it does require having the grid displayed to force alignment AFAIK)

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2019 at 6:17 AM, f0ff886f said:

How does this grid snapping actually work?

I've been trying to get it so that I can only create "divisible by 2 shape dimensions", which will always align to even pixels (so a 50x28 rectangle at (56, 84) is allowed, while a 51x28 rectangle at (56, 84) is not, nor is a 50x28 rectangle at (57, 84)).

It seems impossible? Is there a way of doing this?

With grid spacing of 2 (whatever your unspecified units are) each way?