You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copying InDesign text from Markzware ID Util app

ABP

When copying InDesign story text from Markzware ID Util app and pasting in Publisher, the text comes out with a grey background and the font size changes to a larger size not in the InDesign doc (where it is 9pt, which of course I would not expect) nor as specified in the Publisher doc (in my test case the Publisher doc font size is 12pt, the paste came out at 13pt). When doing the same test from ID Util to Quark, the text pasted without any grey background and in the same size font as specified in the Quark doc (i.e. 12 pt).

Another test. This time the copying from Markzware ID Util has come out 16pt, wide leading, grey background (see screen shot). The original is 12pt, standard leading (14.4), no grey background. When copying to other apps such as Quark and Pages the copying comes out correctly the same as the original. Kindly advise re this inconvenience. Thank you.1848257983_Screenshot2019-06-28at06_49_45.png.5b206277867397fd263c362fade105ab.png

On 6/25/2019 at 11:06 AM, ABP said:

When copying InDesign story text from Markzware ID Util app and pasting in Publisher, the text comes out with a grey background

Make sure that when you create a new text box that it doesn't carry unnecessary formatting instructions. You may have played with some options in Publisher and this continues to be reflected in that text box.

Just click Revert Defaults icon and then try to paste the text you copied from indesign. This should solve your problems.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Thanks both, but please note I am not talking about text copied directly from InDesign (which works fine) but InDesign text copied via Markzware (which I have been experimenting with as part of my readiness for when my InDesign CS6 will no longer work with Apple's next OS). Markzware is a program(me) that opens InDesign docs even when you do not have the InDesign app.

1 minute ago, ABP said:

but please note I am not talking about text copied directly from InDesign (which works fine) but InDesign text copied via Markzware

Sorry, didn't get that. Well, in that case I'm out. I don't use that extension/program.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

2 hours ago, Vincent Steinmetz said:

I pasted this text (from a book I made in Indesign) into publisher. Even migrated the paragraph and text styles.

Screenshot 2019-06-30 at 18.26.21.png

Yay! Looks like this got fixed in the final release! Never could copy/paste text from ID. It would bring everything into APub as single line text frames. That said, in at least one beta I thought I remember it working, but after reading your post, I see it apparently is working correctly for the most part! So pretty much a workable solution!

That really resolves a huge problem for migration. In longer, more complex ID docs, opening a pdf version of the ID file meant a LOT of work to restore text flow, etc. This looks great! Glad I read this post!

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

Aha! Found the difference. If you try to copy/paste a text block, doesn't work. Have to copy the text, then paste into a text frame in APub.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

7 hours ago, ABP said:

Thanks both, but please note I am not talking about text copied directly from InDesign (which works fine) but InDesign text copied via Markzware (which I have been experimenting with as part of my readiness for when my InDesign CS6 will no longer work with Apple's next OS). Markzware is a program(me) that opens InDesign docs even when you do not have the InDesign app.

Based on your post, I just downloaded Markzware ID Util and got the same result copying/pasting right from the ID Util Stories window. Had to export to RTF, then drag/drop into APub to get the formatting to stick. Be much nicer if, as you said, we could just copy/paste. But still may be handy in certain circumstances. Our firm has a lot of legacy ID files that we routinely use as a starter for a client's updated pubs. 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022