You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Remember correct directory when creating further PDFs

Indesign has this really neat feature where, when exporting a PDF, it remembers the last destination the previous PDF for that document was saved.

I notice this a lot now that I'm using Publisher as I'm inadvertently saving my PDFs in the wrong folders(!). Publisher seems to remember the last location a PDF was saved in, but not relative to the original document.

For example/clarity, lets say I have two projects, numbered 1000A and 2000B.

I open 1000A and create my PDF and save it to a folder inside the project folder called proofs ( '1000A > Proofs').

Next I open 2000B, create my PDF and save it. With Indesign it remembers that the last time this document created a PDF it was stored in '2000B > Proofs' and this is the folder it automatically shows in the save dialog. In Publisher it points the last folder used to create a PDF, which in this case happens to have been '1000A > Proofs'.

Does that make sense?

Its not a life changing problem, more something which you don't realise is a feature, but its only when you move away to another piece of software you realise how useful it was!

P.S. Loving Publisher!

• 2 months later...

Yes. Please. For the love of god at least add some sort of preference to adjust the behavior of saving and exporting files. I can't tell you how many times I've saved and closed a file and then can't find it ANYWHERE. I have to reopen it under "open recent" and then "reveal in finder" just to figure out where the file went.

My vote would be that the "default" behavior would be to save as and export in the same folder as the current open document. Then add a preference if you want for whatever other situations might also be valid.

Currently, if I open a document I worked on a week ago and immediately attempt to "Save As: a new version, I expect to find myself in the same folder as the document I just opened.

Please, please, please fix this!