You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 5 months later...

I'm interested in this feature too. :D

I'm using Publisher since the initial public betas were published... and since then i'm moving from other apps to affinity apps including Publisher.

My 'ecosystem' is changing to affinity apps, but a reduced amount of collaborators/providers/partners, etc. don't. A real solution is they use affinity apps too, obviously... but the usual kind of collaboration, usually resides in collaborate with texts. Write/correct/change those texts... 

I think, linking external text files, like images, would be a really nice option to fast and intuitive workflow and to finally convince more people to adopt affinity apps as their usual design apps

Best regards

1 hour ago, CreativaGrafica said:

I think, linking external text files, like images, would be a really nice option to fast and intuitive workflow and to finally convince more people to adopt affinity apps as their usual design apps

That would be great, here comes the 'but', as long as everyone uses the exact same styles and names. Any difference will result in a new style in the Publisher Document.

Here is another 'but'...

But it would be great not just really nice. Maybe we need a text editing application which would be tied to the Affinity applications. Everyone would have the simple text app to write and revise and the styles could be exported and locked by whoever is in charge of the Publisher application. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

13 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

That would be great, here comes the 'but', as long as everyone uses the exact same styles and names. Any difference will result in a new style in the Publisher Document.

Here is another 'but'...

But it would be great not just really nice. Maybe we need a text editing application which would be tied to the Affinity applications. Everyone would have the simple text app to write and revise and the styles could be exported and locked by whoever is in charge of the Publisher application. 

Thank's for your answer :1_grinning:

Yes, you're in the correct way :)

i'll dream with this feature.

I understand that create new 'app' or use tied affinity app would be 'the very best' to integrate into the affinity ecosystem (provably with StudioLink)... but I understand, create that app, will occur in a long time... I suppose.

The initial step... in my mind... is to use something like (tagged) rtf, or txt,... Something... basic in functions, standar to be used for everyone.

It probably produce 'noise' (coded text -affinity labels- only seen in the txt editor). Philosophy of xml.

imagine a file (.doc or docx, or otf...). Opened by you... resaved as .txt. to force Publisher compatibility. Then...Linked to Aff. publisher.

In Publisher you applied styles, organize boxes, etc... (the linked file include those tags to the .txt file -with styles or text attributes information-)... I think everybody can understand an indication like: 'you can change what you want between tag <affinity> text editable </affinity> DON'T TOUCH ALL OTHER TEXT' :1_grinning:

Share file by something like dropbox, mail or what you want...

There are corrections? no problem... the editor change the text. 

Finally you update link in Publisher... and voilâ . The Magic acts. 

I'm sure there will be -as you've said- a lot of 'but..' and 'What if...', including the obvious situation... the editor break the code >:(:4_joy:
There's where in the near future (i hope) affinity develop that light but powered, 'affinity text editor' with StudioLink compatibility  :x 

Have a nice day!!!

11 minutes ago, CreativaGrafica said:

The initial step... in my mind... is to use something like (tagged) rtf, or txt,... Something... basic in functions, standar to be used for everyone.

It probably produce 'noise' (coded text -affinity labels- only seen in the txt editor). Philosophy of xml.

imagine a file (.doc or docx, or otf...). Opened by you... resaved as .txt. to force Publisher compatibility. Then...Linked to Aff. publisher.

You and I must be related. I agree 100%.

12 minutes ago, CreativaGrafica said:

(i hope) affinity develop that light but powered, 'affinity text editor' with StudioLink compatibility

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 12/4/2019 at 12:26 PM, Old Bruce said:

as long as everyone uses the exact same styles and names. Any difference will result in a new style in the Publisher Document.

At this point I would be super happy if Publisher could even do that when importing Word documents (apparently it's not implemented yet). Throw in support for other text editors like the OpenOffice/LibreOffice format, and that would solve my problems. There's no need for an Adobe InCopy alternative until way down the line IMHO.

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

I found this thread by googling "Affinity Publisher link to text"

I have a need like this, too, to edit and update text externally the last minute before publishing, just like I can do with pictures!
Affinity isn't very user friendly for text reviewing and editing large amounts of text.

Copy and paste wouldn't work because I have no way of using page breaks or header styles or have I?

If there's a solution already to this, or alternative product, please let me know, I'll follow this thread.