You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher master page layer order problem

Hi, I have a question about the layer order when I try to apply the master page to every single page in the doc.

let's say that I want to put a stamp or watermark on every page which all cover by full-size image. 

And when I apply the master page, the stamp always put into the bottom of every single page. 

is there a way to put it on top?  easily? not to have me to change the layer order every single page? 

Edited by lenuis
change some words

An example or screenshot of your issue would help Lenuis

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Try this...

Goto page one

In Layers panel right-click the Master page and select Edit Linked

From the menu select Layer > Arrange > Move to Front

(Do not instead drag the layer to the top of layer stack - does not work for me)

Click the Finish button on orange coloured "Editing Linked" information bar

Check your other pages to see if it worked

Note: The pages thumbnails,  after page 1, do not seem to update to show that the master page content is now on top of other content, that may be a bug.  If I close and reopen the document then the thumbnails are updated correctly.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi guys,

I am struggling with this also. The tips so far do not solve challenge. At least not in my case. I have a Master Page with these objects on a 2-page spread (opposing pages):

• Banner - Horizontal rectangle on top of page that go across the spread
  • 2 logo elements on top of banner (1 and left side, 1 on right side page)
  • 1 rectangle with tinted colour covering the rest of the canvas (except 3 text frames at the bottom of 2-page spread)
  • 3 text frames on the bottom of pages - Page number fields and Section name fields

I apply this Master Page to pages 2-3 for example. All is OK. Now I wish to insert/place a image file. It is a spread across both pages, fits just below the banner and goes to the very bottom. I was hoping to be able to select Text frames from Master Page to be above the image in this case.

If you place the master page as top layer then the image will be hidden.

Other thoughts?

Workaround is to create new Text frames on pages 2-3 with field names. But this can be a lot of work if many pages like this...

Thanks in advance

3 hours ago, mnh said:

Hi guys,

I am struggling with this also. The tips so far do not solve challenge. At least not in my case. I have a Master Page with these objects on a 2-page spread (opposing pages):

• Banner - Horizontal rectangle on top of page that go across the spread
  • 2 logo elements on top of banner (1 and left side, 1 on right side page)
  • 1 rectangle with tinted colour covering the rest of the canvas (except 3 text frames at the bottom of 2-page spread)
  • 3 text frames on the bottom of pages - Page number fields and Section name fields

I apply this Master Page to pages 2-3 for example. All is OK. Now I wish to insert/place a image file. It is a spread across both pages, fits just below the banner and goes to the very bottom. I was hoping to be able to select Text frames from Master Page to be above the image in this case.

If you place the master page as top layer then the image will be hidden.

Other thoughts?

Workaround is to create new Text frames on pages 2-3 with field names. But this can be a lot of work if many pages like this...

Thanks in advance

It would be very helpful it you would supply a sample .afpub file.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Try making a Text only Master page and apply both to the pages making sure to have the text only on top of the layers in the pages view where you have the Big Pictures.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2019 at 1:02 PM, walt.farrell said:

It would be very helpful it you would supply a sample .afpub file.

Hi all, I am running the trial version of Publisher to see whether it can replace my ageing InDesign application.  After using Publisher for a day I too need the ability to layer items on the master page. In the attached sample, I need to be able to place the word 'draft' across all pages, over all the content. In InDesign I was able to create a layer above all other layer, and place objects on the master page to go over all other content on any page to which this master is applied. I cannot find a way of doing this in Publisher, since the master objects go to the bottom of the layer list and I don't want al the master objects to be on top (page numbers need to be underneath content).

How can I have objects on a master page that will be on top of normal content, without having to shuffle layers on a page-by-page basis?

Any help greatly appreciated – Publisher really does feel a lot more responsive and clean so I would love to use it instead of ID

The world is quite enough.afpub

Screenshot 2019-07-12 11.22.28.png

Screenshot 2019-07-12 11.22.39.png

• Staff

Hi hdb :)

AFAIK there's no automatic option for this currently, Masters are always applied at the bottom of your layer stack by default. However you can manually move the whole master 'layer' on each spread to be at the top of the layers stack, this will ensure the Master Page objects are always drawn on top.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Also, you don't have to move the master layer on each spread individually.

You can select the master layer on one document page, right-click, and choose Edit Linked. Then you can use the menu item Layer > Arrange > Move to Front. Then click on the Finish button.

That will move the master layer to the top of the layer stack on all the spreads.

Of course, that is a one-time action, so if you draw anything on a page after that, you need to ensure it gets inserted below the master layer. Or you need to do that layer arrangement at the end of the project.

Also, in case it's not obvious, you can have multiple Master Pages applied to a single document page, so just put your "Draft" text on a separate Master, to facilitate this kind of layer arrangement.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1